News1130's Neil O'Brien passes

Radio News from British Columbia

News1130's Neil O'Brien passes

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 pm

It's on social media so I thought I would post it here for those who knew the traffic guy/ wrestling aficionado. I do not know the circumstances or if he had been in poor health. I'm pretty sure Neil was in his mid-late 40's. I worked with him for a brief time in his first time on Ash St. My condolences to his co-workers and friends.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: News1130's Neil O'Brien passes

Postby groundskeeper willy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 am

Worked with Neil at the Rogers bunker on Ash, such a memorable, genuine guy. Heart goes out to his family & friends.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 am

I had heard that he was let go earlier this week.

Sad circumstances. RIP.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:23 pm

This is so sad. He was much too young. Just before Christmas and lost his job? Neil was very good with his traffic reports. I will miss hearing him on News1130.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:It's on social media so I thought I would post it here for those who knew the traffic guy/ wrestling aficionado. I do not know the circumstances or if he had been in poor health. I'm pretty sure Neil was in his mid-late 40's. I worked with him for a brief time in his first time on Ash St. My condolences to his co-workers and friends.

Hi, Russ. Neil was physically a mess the last couple of years. Some days it seems he came in to work through sheer will-power. His friends helped him through. He still managed to keep up his warped sense of humour.

He's the only person I've worked with who could discuss the soundtrack of "Night of the Living Dead."

Like many here, he really loved radio and he loved being a part of it.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I am finding this another body blow, as we say goodbye to a genuinely wonderful man.

He loses his job and dies the next day.

He was wonderful to work with, and was much beloved for his kindness and wit.....RIP, my friend.

Neil, you have left a lot of very sad people thinking of you, tonight.

Rest Well.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Wow! Just listened to on-air colleagues speaking about Neil. They played some of his memorable one-liners, such as "bowling-shoe-ugly" when referring to a particular traffic jam. Such a terrific traffic reporter. News1130 has had the best of the best ... Bruce Williams, Kim Seale and Neil. Sad story.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 am

SIGN-OFFS:

Neil O’Brien, 47, on Dec.5. O’Brien was the trusted voice of traffic reporting in Lower Mainland, B.C. for over 20 years. After studying at both Columbia Academy and BCIT, O’Brien began his broadcasting career at CIMA-AM and CKZZ-FM Vancouver, before moving to 97 KISS FM (CKKS-FM) in 1995 as a board operator for the nationally-syndicated Rhona at Night show. He joined News 1130 (CKWX-AM) in 1996, later going on to become program manager for Skywords Traffic and an anchor for the Canadian Traffic Network, where he was heard on CKNW NewsTalk 980, AM 730 (CHMJ-AM), Shore 104 (CHLG-FM), and CISL 650, among other stations. Since 2016, he had been back with Rogers Vancouver. O’Brien was known by his colleagues as much for his on-air quips and one-liners like “traffic is bowling shoe ugly,” as he was for his humour off the air. Passionate about wrestling, O’Brien also took turns over the years as a host/ring announcer for Can-Am Wrestling on KBCB-TV Bellingham, WA and was a contributing writer to Sports Vue magazine.

from this morning's Broadcast Dialogue
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Vancouver broadcaster Kuljeet Kaila has started a gofundme page to raise some money to help out Neil's family with funeral expenses. If you can help, please do.

https://www.gofundme.com/4tn1wm8
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am

From this mornings Province newspaper.

http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/ ... fd84220f34
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia