Weak signal from CBU 690

Radio News from British Columbia

Weak signal from CBU 690

Postby kal » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 pm

This morning, as is my habit, I ran my trusty Grundig G8 through its group of presets. At first I didn't hear anything from CBU 690. Then I noticed that the audio was very low, much lower than any other stations in my group.

When I headed off in the car, the same issue. CBU 690 was about half the volume of the other stations. "Half" is a subjective term here. All I can say is that it wasn't normal.

What is amiss?

Has the station power output been lowered? Is there something amiss with the audio modulation?

Does anyone have a viable explanation?
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Weak signal from CBU 690

Postby jon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 pm

From what I have heard, the CBC is actively working on the recently-approved two tower 25KW setup.

Any kind of serious tower work will require CBU to either cut power to run non-directional from one tower, or go completely off the air.

You didn't mention what time. Although midnight-6pm is the traditional time for this kind of work, which reduces coverage, the last time CBX Edmonton was off the air (that I am aware of) for planned transmitter work, they picked mid-afternoon, to avoid paying overtime.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 am

This was this morning from 6:30 to 8:00 AM, when I stopped listening, and it appeared to be the same when I resumed listening around 2:30 PM. And it is still the same as I write this post at 11 PM.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:54 am

The official announcement of the wattage-diminishment project indicated that, even when completed, AM signals will be weaker in certain areas. The announcement said this was an acceptable outcome if listeners learn to switch on Radio 1 on FM.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 pm

I'm curious if this problem has been resolved. Or is it the new reality with the new power and pattern?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Tuned in after midnight Sunday morning. No Day Six repeat. Dead air. Picked it up fine on FM. As you say, is this the new normal? Guess, late at night, they could play the national anthem, God Save The Queen...and then inform listeners to switch to FM or Internet. Or maybe perfection will reign post low-wattage project ends.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 am

I could really hear the difference last night.

Just after midnight Vancouver time, CBU seemed about as strong as I've heard it in the past. Checking again at 3:30 and just after 4, the signal was very weak, making it difficult to determine what language was being spoken, let alone what was being said. Admittedly, here in Edmonton, Saskatchewan's CBKF-1 is dominant in French and I have to null them the best I can by rotating the radio until their signal diminishes.

I had hoped CBU might actually have been off the air overnight as I would like to have made a try at XEWW in Tijuana, the former XETRA.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia