Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 13

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 13

Postby radiofan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1986 ... Glass Tiger and "Someday" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHYtsnSlCg0

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 13

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:46 pm

Glass Tiger made history when they became the only Canadian artist to win consecutive Single Of The Year Juno Awards with 45s from the same album. Long player The Thin Red Line yielded winners Don’t Forget Me (When I’m Gone) in 1986 and Someday in 1987. Along with the album, the two hits were produced by Jim Vallance. Best known at the time as Bryan Adams’ collaborator, Vallance also co-wrote some of the tracks.

At least to my eyes, two Glass Tiger members appear to wear kilts on the cover of The Thin Red Line. Googling around, however, lead vocalist/backup guitarist Alan Frew appears to have been the only Scottish-born Tiger. However, the band did briefly hire percussionist Jimmy Scotland (a non Scotsman) in the late ‘80s. Original drummer Michael Hanson left after their followup album Diamond Sun. Ironically Hanson had assembled Glass Tiger from a couple of Newmarket, Ontario bands after breaking up his own (in which he’d been lead singer). Until the band’s official hiatus in 1993, several temp drummers came and went.

Glass Tiger reunited in the early 2000s. Despite a health scare—an August 2015 stroke suffered by Frew—the group is back on the touring circuit. In addition to Frew and original members Sam Reid (keyboards), Al Connelly (guitar) and Wayne Parker (bass), GT has relied on drummer Chris McNeill.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day