1050 CHUM Anniversary week.

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed May 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Hello boys and girls!
I'm back on the Lower Mainland after being side-tracked on my trip to Toronto for the 1050 CHUM reunion, which was a lot of fun.
I have some pictures which I can upload if RadioFan gives me permission.
CHUM invited some 500 former employees to this event and about 100 indicated that they would attend.
Some of those who said they'd be there didn't show up.
Among the missing, Dick Smyth and Brian Thomas, both former news directors.
Mark Dailey was on vacation and there were other notable no-shows.
But it was a very ejoyable evening, especially my 10 minute chat with Mrs. Marge Waters, widow of the founder of the station.
She's getting on in years but still is as sharp as a tack.
All of the remaining CHUM employees are apprehensive about the change of ownership and what will become of their jobs.
Unfortunately, I had to leave Toronto early before getting a chance to join Bob Laine on-air at noon Saturday before the big concert in Nathan Phillips Square.
Saturday morning, my brother called from Kelowna to say that my father had died in his sleep five days before his 94th birthday.
I flew home and drove to Kelowna, returning a few hours ago.
My dad actually did work in radio for a short period of time, writing copy at CKOV in the early '60s.
If possible, my brother Chris is hoping to join us for lunch on the 10th.
Hope to see all of you then and if possible. will put up some CHUM pix here.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:36 pm

Here, as promised, are some pics from the CHUM 50th Anniversary Reunion at the Old Mill in Toronto on May 25th, 2007.

The first picture is of current CHUM-FM morning man Roger Ashby along with Maie Pautts. Roger didn't like my comment that he'd stolen Jay Leno's hair. Roger filled many shifts on CHUM AM over the years, including mornings and remains the number one morning man in Toronto along with Marilyn Denis (also of City-tv fame) and Rick Hodge.
Maie is well known in Toronto radio circles, particulary for her time at CFNY. She's working at both CHUM's.

Picture number 2 is Doug Beaumont, currently the morning news voice of 1050 CHUM. Doug was a newsroom backup person in the '80's and is a great guy.

Picture number 3 is Donny Burns. Donny and I worked together at CKXL in Calgary in 1971 when he was the morning jock and I did morning news along with Dale O'Hara. He did some time at CHUM but not when I was there.

Picture number 4 is me with Dan Blakely. Dan was primarily with CHUM-FM but worked both sides of the station.

Picture number 5 is Gord James, who was with CHUM-FM for years but is now the morning man on 1050 CHUM. Gord is one of the nicest guys in the business and does a lot of voice work as well.

Picture number 6 is Dave Haydu, now Chief Engineer for all CHUM stations. Some will remember him as Geets Romo on CHUM-FM, as well as a host of other characters on the Pete and Geets Morning Show.
Beside him is Fred Ennis, who was a reporter/traffic person when I was at CHUM in the '70's. Fred's in Ottawa as an "insultant."

Picture number 7 is Bruce Marshall, who also worked both sides of the fence. Another all round good guy!

Picture number 8 is Rick Murray with Jim Van Horne. I don't really remember much about Rick, possibly he was there during the time I wasn't. Jim Van Horne was a jock when I was there, later moving into sports with TSN and others, including the ill-fated Team incarnation at 1050.

Picture number nine: Charlie O'Brien. Works at the CHUM stations in Windsor and voice tracks shows for 1050.

Picture number 10 is Dan Plouffe with Duff Roman. Dan was a pretty creative operator producer with 1050 and Duff was one of the original djs who went into management. One of the better suits with whom I've had the pleasure to work.

Picture number 11 is Bud Riley. Bud was there and had left before I started at CHUM in '72. He was primarily a newsie.

Picture number 12 is Dale Smith. He was a CHUM jock in the 80's and 90's also known as Bill Young.

Picture number 13 is Doug Thompson and Bob Laine. These two guys did all the work for the CHUM archives, preparing the programs, digging out old tapes and even discs and putting the whole thing together. Doug is one of the best producers ever and Bobo is a prince of a guy, a CHUM deejay who morphed into one of the nicest management persons ever.

Picture number 14 is Brian Williams and Chuck McCoy. I worked with both Brian (he did sports on 1050) and Chuck, who was a great jock, in the early '70's. Brian is now with CTV and will anchor the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Chuck is a suit with Rogers.

Picture number 15 is Mrs Alan (Marge) Waters and Jim Waters.
Mrs. Waters is the widow of the founder of 1050 CHUM. Jim is the eldest son.

Unfortunately, a lot of people invited did not come to the reunion which was disappointing because it may have been my last chance to see some of the older ones. Some were too bitter about their experiences (and terminations) from the company, others were out of town or too far away.
Make an effort to reach out and find your old colleagues in this business.
Soon, it may be too late.
Hope you enjoyed this!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News