CKNW newsroom moving to Global in Burnaby?

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: CKNW newsroom moving to Global in Burnaby?

Postby Just sayin' » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 am

Maybe the move to Global will put the NW newsreaders under more scrutiny from their bosses. Example: this weekend, while listening to some newbie reading the news, she referred to 'Sigh-rah-cuse' University. Duh. Do they not test these so-called journalists on their command of the language and basic knowledge. It made this person come off as a complete dummy. What made it worse, when the news clip came up on after she butchered the name of the university, the on-scene reporter, of course read the name properly. Obviously, newbie didn't even listen to the clip to at least hear the proper pronunciation. Major market news...not even close!
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am

Many, many mispronunciations by this reader over the past year or so. Many are cringe-worthy.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:41 pm

“Sigh-ra-cuse”.

Sigh. Kinda reminds of Gordon Lightfoot covering Me and Bobby McGee. He sang “Sa-line-us” instead of the California community’s proper name “Sa-leen-es.”

At least you could tap your toes to Gord’s miscue.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:14 pm

More mispronunciations from 'NW newscasts today ...

"Estevan" (the Saskatchewan town), and "southern" were both a bit mangled today.

Is there no one that guides the newcomers, or critiques their newscasts on occasion?
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Kal, obviously no one in authority cares. They know what they're getting when they hire. There is simply not enough pride in the product.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:00 pm

TELUS added Global News BC 1 (or whatever it's called exactly) and, since then, it's gone progressively downhill. Most of the time, it just simulcasts and re-airs Global News broadcasts from Vancouver and even the Okanagan, as well as Global National. It's unclear if the "BC1 News" half-hour shows are taped or live. They should just shut it down - and TELUS should restore Bloomberg's U.S. feed to its channel line-up, so I don't have to use my Internet data to watch it via Apple TV.

I wonder how long till Bloomberg U.S. realizes that BNN is being a scum-sucking leach off of the incredible journalism resources in which Bloomberg invests. BNN's Paige Ellis appears to have quietly left the network, on her own terms or not it's unclear, and while I am actually liking Lily Jamali on "Market Call Tonight" over previous host Greg Bonnell, BNN is a shell of its former host. They have basically all anchors and only two full-time reporters now, plus two that are either part-time anchors/part-time reporters or shared with CTV News.

Anchors: Amanda Lang, Andy Bell, Catherine Murray, Paul Bagnell, Jon Erlichmann (who needs to stop his fake smiling and trying to hide his dimples by making his face so stiff and serious! :(), and Greg Bonnell
Full-Time Reporters: Jameson Berkow, Tara Weber (in Calgary)
Part-Time Reporters: Anita Sharma (who is actually quite good but, sadly, shared with CTV National News/CTV News Toronto) and Lily Jamali

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia