MOJO Management: Stuck-On-Stupid

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue May 30, 2006 9:03 pm

I don't know what's worse; the MOJO firings today that cost fourteen people their jobs or the fact that not one of those people let go was a part of the Corus management team.

I guess to put this latest outrage in perspective you'd have to go all the way back to last month when MOJO's brother station CKNW fired twelve people; or maybe back even further to 2002, when the first incarnation of MOJO - NW2 - dumped twenty-five employees; or how about May 19, 1999, when fifteen 'NW employees were pink-slipped.

The Corus cockroaches who are currently calling the shots are beyond belief.

They are paid by their employer to strut around their cages in the Black Tower and make decisions that adversely affect the lives of dozens of employees.

They are scum.

How do those people go home and sleep at night?

Their contributions to society are nil.

They have no hearts, they have no souls, and in the grand scheme of things, they are useless.

I have more respect for homeless people pushing shopping carts around downtown Vancouver picking up empties; at least they are earning an honest living, keeping the city clean and making a positive contribution to society.

Just what the hell are these slimeballs contributing?

Because of their complete and utter bankruptcy of original programming ideas they purposefully set out with malice aforethought to ruin the businesses of two established Vancouver radio stations: CKWX News 1130 and TEAM 1040.

They failed miserably on both counts.

The all news NW2 launched in 2002 soon fizzled out.

MOJO:Talk Radio for Guys was their next failure.

Then - aiming their sights on TEAM 1040 came the all sports MOJO in 2003; another disaster.

Now this.

Continuous drive time traffic and the 'best of talk'?

Is this even a format?

I'm here to tell you that no, you Corus dolts, it's not.

Reruns of Vancouver's 'most trusted talkshow host', Bill Good?

Excuse me?

Who asked for this?

He's hard enough to take the first time around; certainly no one requested more of his fence-sitting opinions in the form of reheated leftovers.

Will you even bother assigning someone to edit out the phone numbers before you air these so-called 'best-of' repeats, or will you do what you did when Peter Warren walked out and left you idiots twisting in the wind: re-run the programs in their entirety with the phone numbers, invitations to call in, dated references to events long since past and all the other crap that have become the hallmarks of your complete and utter unprofessionalism?

You people are insane.

Truly.

You're flat out flaming crazy. What you're doing on any company's payroll is beyond my limited range of ability of comprehension.

I have one question for you:

Where did you get your Kevlar suits?

Because I want one. They're obviously indestructable.

Was Tom even in the room for today's bloodbath or was he locked safely away in his office sucking up some oxygen in his personal hyperbolic chamber?

You people are a disgrace to broadcasting, and it is my hope that you are drummed out of the business as soon as possible.

Seriously, you make the assholes running Clear Channel look like geniuses.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue May 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Pluto wrote: Because of their complete and utter bankruptcy of original programming ideas they purposefully set out with malice aforethought to ruin the businesses of two established Vancouver radio stations: CKWX News 1130 and TEAM 1040

In a way they still are, Pluto, as 1130 bills itself as a traffic station.

It seems unbelievable in way. The 730 frequency was the home of Doc Harris, Gord Robson, Rick Honey, Raccoon Carney, the list goes on and on - all guys with personality. NW built itself on personality - Bob Hutton, Frosty, Norm Grohman, various talkers, Al Davidson, and so on. Now, NW management seems to have taken the 730 frequency and gutted any personality during the two main dayparts.

Why wouldn't they have kept Jennifer Thom(p)son if they were going all-traffic in the morning? They could have moved her over to do some of the traffic and have her tie in the other elements of the morning drive period as a host.

It's been obvious for some time that MOJO had to change format. I just wonder what was viable option remained that it could have tried.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue May 30, 2006 10:43 pm

After 3 failed attempts and now number 4 already set on self destruct, here's what should have been done with 730.

Move CKNW down the dial to 730. It is a much better frequency than 980, and you can actually hear it downtown. Between the demise of NW2 and the launch of MOJO in the summer of 2002, Corus spent well over a million dollars upgrading the 730 transmitters and towers in North Delta.

Also, 730 would put them side by side with the CBC, thier main competitor in the News/Talk race.

Once NW is moved, they could sell off 980 rather than pouring more money down a black hole and save the trouble of having to fire another competent staff and disrupting thier lives.

I'm sure Corus could easily get a few million dollars for a 50kw frequency in Vancouver. The ethnic group that was granted 1200 last year would jump at the opportunity to buy a "turnkey" operation rather than building a new site from scratch.

Just a thought.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed May 31, 2006 10:54 am

Here's today's Sun and Province storys on the death of MOJO

Wendy McLellan, The Province

Wency Leung, The Vancouver Sun
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed May 31, 2006 11:03 am

Take a bow Pluto!
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Wed May 31, 2006 8:27 pm

Brilliant analysis of the situation, Pluto. You'd think after three implosions on AM730, someone in Toronto would question the competence of Corus radio's Vancouver management team.

Now what I'm wondering is what will the next format be like. Not the 'continuous' traffic idiocy, which will die a quick death. They've tried all news and all sports. How about all weather? Or maybe all Shell Busey?

It's just that simple, folks.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed May 31, 2006 9:55 pm

"Andeen Pitt, vice-president of media and business development for Vancouver's Wasserman and Partners Advertising, said an all-traffic station may appeal to drivers as well as advertisers.
"We've all been waiting for them to do something with that station," Pitt said. "They had to make a decision about what direction to take with MOJO.
"I think a focus on traffic is a good decision -- I think it's a winner."

That pretty much sums it up. One of the largest ad buyers in the province has given the format a thumbs up. With only three employees AM730 should be "a good little earner" to steal a line from Tony Soprano. Turning a major market full power AM into a rebroadcaster is pure genius. I bet Rogers is kicking themselves for not having thought of it first.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:41 am

Stn Brk wrote:Brilliant analysis of the situation, Pluto.  You'd think after three implosions on AM730, someone in Toronto would question the competence of Corus radio's Vancouver management team.

Now what I'm wondering is what will the next format be like.  Not the 'continuous' traffic idiocy, which will die a quick death.  They've tried all news and all sports.  How about all weather?    Or maybe all Shell Busey?

It's just that simple, folks.

All Shell Busey? Okey dokey, folks!

Stn. Brk., the station hasn't really been doing well for ages, even at the end of its CKLG days. Is it still viable commercially? If not perhaps, as a public service, and as a good corporate citizen, Corus could simply turn over the station to Kwantlen College or some other post-secondary institute to operate as a commercial-free enterprise?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:56 pm

The idea of a move of 980 to 730 is a good one. But it reminds me of a growing trend in the U.S. -- that just amazes me. Some owners actually simulcast two FM stations in the same market!!!

Would that make any sense, simulcasting 730 and 980? Are there any areas where 730 has a lousy signal and 980 has a better signal?

And, of course, are there still CRTC regulations preventing simulcasting?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 pm

I would say 730 has a superior signal all around compared to 980. My DX experiences over the years have seen stations like CKRM-Regina, KBBO-Yakima (the ex-KUTI), KINS-Eureka, even KFWB in L.A. cause major problems for NW a few miles out of town on 980. 73O on the other hand is totally clean. I recall a time about 20 (or some odd years ago) while camping in the Arizona desert near Yuma when CKLG-730 was blasting in on the car radio (despite being so close to the Mexican powerhouse XEX also broadcasting on 730 which I believe was 500,000 watts at the time).
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:37 pm

I remember being younger, and camping at Shuswap lake, and being able to just barely get LG73 enough to hear the Top 8 At 8. Must have been around 1988. That was cool, cuz no other station made it that far in the evening.
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm going to be very careful with my words here....I'm not going to name names perse. But I will make one comment....."What goes around, comes around, or vice versa."

I recall in my heyday in Montreal at CKGM, we had a heck of a time battling with CJAD.....it was a privately-owned station at the time, but affiliated with Standard....which operated CFRB in Toronto.....both were number one stations. They aren't anymore, neither of them.
I recall coming out to Vancouver to CKVN, cum CFUN......once a powerhouse in Vancouver, but down in the doldrums. CKNW was the top dog way back then 37 years ago and basically, still is, by a thread. Moffatt Radio was a close second (CKLG and CKLG-FM)........CHQM and CHQM-FM (stuck up nose, hoity toity) followed.
Today, NW and co. have four stations....and have no idea what the heck is going on in the market.....listeners have yet to catch up with the debacle. Could time be finally running out on Corus, the "successors" to the Griffiths, WIC etc. What goes around, comes around, or vice versa.

Question is - which empire takes over?
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:39 pm

Actually, CFUN, back in its 10 kw days had amazing coverage...picked it up in Calgary...my semi-lovely wife of the 70's and 80's used to listen in Hazelton!
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:55 pm

I have to agree with artie dentures - when I was a kid lying in bed - its ...14 cfun
banging down the doors into my room. I seemed to grow up with CKOK in the morning - around the breakfast table with standard old fashioned MOR and all the hits late at night.

Be damned ...I cannot actually recall one personality on C-FUN. The jingles, the intros, the music - a feast for the ear. Some one give me a list of mid evening jocks '63 to '64 at 1410.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Primitive » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Stn Brk wrote: You'd think after three implosions on AM730, someone in Toronto would question the competence of Corus radio's Vancouver management team.

Except the pinheads in Toronto are busy running 640 and 95.3 in to the ground. At least in Vancouver it's only one frequency.
Primitive
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia