Aboriginal Radio set to go

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby butch » Wed May 31, 2006 2:56 am

Marke Andrews, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, May 25, 2006
Aboriginal Voices Radio is looking to staff a Vancouver operation, one of three regional studios that will begin broadcasting June 30, as part of a new national AVR network.

A small core of people will be hired for the Vancouver station, which will broadcast at 106.3 on the FM dial.

New stations in Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa begin broadcasting June 30, with stations in Edmonton, Montreal and Kitchener-Waterloo joining the network in September. The original Toronto station has been on the air since October 2004, broadcasting at 106.5 on the FM band.

The announcement came this week after AVR executives met with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC). The CRTC had granted AVR a licence for seven cities, but plans were delayed until the funding was in place.

The Vancouver station will initially broadcast national programming from Toronto, but will develop original shows.

"Vancouver will be a very important location for AVR nationally, because it's on the West Coast and there are so many First Nations and aboriginal communities out there," said Cardinal. "We want original programming to happen. We know there is a very strong diversity and unique voice within different indigenous peoples. We have to create some community programming that respects and honours those people."

AVR currently has a library of 7,500 tracks from 658 Canadian aboriginal groups and artists.

AVR chief of operations Roy Hennessy, a former Vancouver radio announcer, said he hopes to have at least two reporters, a morning show host and a number of on-air personalities operating out of the Vancouver studio.
butch
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:48 pm

Anyone know if the simulcast in Abbotsford on 850 will also be hitting the air on June 30th? That isn't mentioned in any of the recent stories I've seen.

In the meantime Praise 106.5 (KWPZ) in Lynden,WA is urging their Canadian listeners to petition the CRTC as they figure AVR at 106.3 will cause interference for them:
http://www.praise1065.com/about.php
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:34 pm

This frequency was tested a few years ago and there didn't seem to be any interference problems at that time.

I highly doubt the CRTC would pay any attention to listeners concerns about interference to an American station, they never did in the past.

Praise listeners may have to take thier concerns higher that the CRTC.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Approval for AVR on 106.3 came down yesterday despite receiving over 7,000 letters of protest from Praise 106.5 listeners on this side of the border:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decision.../db2006-258.htm
Paragraph #14 in the document pretty well sums up the CRTC's reasoning for the approval.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 pm

Full marks for the CRTC!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:56 am

Ogopogo wrote:
The CRTC had granted AVR a licence for seven cities, but plans were delayed until the funding was in place.

Generally, new businesses have their funding in place before they apply for licenses.

If I want to open a Subway franchise I don't go to their head office and say, "I don't have any money but give me a franchise and I'll pay you in a couple of years."

Good easy slide into retirement for Roy Hennessy though.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:43 pm

It more than that. The CRTC has bent the rules big time for AVR. One of the conditions in the Broadcast Act is that you have sufficient resources to put a station on the air before you can even apply for a license. You'll notice that the orginal license was granted in 2001 and they are still not on the air. Try those kinds of shenanigans if you are a private broadcaster and see what happens. AVR is a disgrace as is APTN. The cable channel that every single cable subscriber is forced to pay for and receive whether they want it or not. I think the people that listen to KLYN have a legitmate beef. Why the heck can't we have stations in Canada playing Christian music? It's not my cup of tea but it is outrageous that any government is arrogant enough to outlaw it. Just like they've outlawed playing oldies on FM. I guess most Canadians enjoy living in a benovolent dictatorship because that's exactly what Canada is.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:50 pm

Actually stations playing Christian music have been allowed in Canada for quite a few years now, we just don't have any in the Vancouver area.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:00 pm

I must have had a brain freeze....The Bridge CKBD was dishing it up for a few years.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:20 am

Believe it or not CKBD "The Bridge" came on the scene in September, 1994.....so Christian radio stations have been on the air in Canada for at least a dozen years now (my god.....time sure does fly by). I think the main reason The Bridge wasn't successful is because Praise 106.5 (KLYN back then) had already established itself as the Christian voice for Lower Mainland believers (in FM stereo) and the music mix presented by both stations was basically the same.

Didn't matter much in the end though as AM 600 with its Standards format is currently enjoying the most success BBM'wise since the old CJOR days of the 60's & 70's.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:35 pm

I believe that CJCA Edmonton preceded CKBD, as new owners applied for the CJCA license mailed back to the CRTC after Talk Radio with a theme of "Canadians are Stupid" somehow didn't work in Edmonton.

I believe they signed on as The Light. Original format was split between what you might term a typical music-based format of singles, only the music format was what was then called CCM (Contemporary Christian Music). The rest of the time was block programming, typically half hours, of different religious speakers, mostly paid time, but a few unpaid, because they really drew audiences. One had even passed away some years before, as I recall.

I haven't read that part of the Radio regulations, but, during the '90s, the confusion over religious television stations was the CRTC's policy that denomination-owned stations were not allowed -- only stations that offered non-denominational and/or programs from multiple denominations. I'm not sure if religious stations were allowed to refuse non-Christian religious broadcast material.

------

As for the CRTC decision, where would this end if they didn't support the "we don't protect foreign signals coming into Canada"? CHAN-TV wouldn't have been allowed on Channel 8 when they first came on the air at the beginning of the '60s, because Greater Vancouver TV watchers would be deprived of off-air reception of KCTS-9, the lower-powered PBS station in Seattle. Vancouver's KOL-1300 listeners could have intervened against CHQM-1320's increase to 50KW in the late '60s. Edmontonians could have prevented CHQT from moving to 880, because they loved listening to WLS-890 in Chicago. But, the most common case would have been DX'ers who would have complained about virtually any new station, frequency change or power increase, as it would hurt their skywave reception at night.

A serious example that I had wondered about recently, but suddenly understand: why was, in the early '70s, CJJC Langley allowed to move from 850 to 800 with KGMI-790 in Bellingham? Because any Canadian KGMI listeners "didn't matter".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:51 am

It's July 1st and 106.3 is still silent. I thought they had a deadline of Midnight June 30th to get this puppy up and running.

Does this mean the license is cancelled?
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:01 am

radiofan wrote:It's July 1st and 106.3 is still silent. I thought they had a deadline of Midnight June 30th to get this puppy up and running.

Does this mean the license is cancelled?

No, the CRTC won't cancel their license.

They have a perfectly good reason why they couldn't sign on today.

GM Roy Hennessey forgot to assign someone the task of putting a new battery in the iPod.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:02 am

OK...it's now July 4th and 106.3 is still silent.

Is it really that hard to find batteries for an Ipod?

I was really hoping to hear "Maggie" by Redbone today.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:42 pm

Just read this on Northwest Broadcasters....

7/04/06 - The sign-on of Aboriginal Voices Radio has been delayed once again, this time because of objections to the CRTC from Praise KWPZ-FM 106.5 Lynden that its signal would be affected in the Surrey area. The CRTC allowed another delay, but AVR chief of operations Roy Hennessy says, "We got a favorable signal last week and the wheels are in motion again." When the station signs on, it will initially feature prerecorded programming while Industry Canada conducts mandatory tests, which could take 3-6 weeks. AVR applied to change call letters for all of the stations in Canada and approval has been received to ID as CKAV plus a numerical identifier for each market. CKAV-2-FM 106.3 for Vancouver.
tuned
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia