Dead Air - CHMZ Tofino and CIMM Ucluelet

Radio News from British Columbia

Dead Air - CHMZ Tofino and CIMM Ucluelet

Postby Dave L » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:22 am

We are now entering the second week of unmodulated carriers on the west coast.

CIMM-FM Ucluelet has become accustomed to failures because of bad links from Tofino, but now CHMZ-FM itself has failed.

At a time when McBride is crowing the launch of a new crew in Port Moody, west coast listeners get nothing. There's been no explanation for the failure on any of McBride's websites. CKPM's page is a stream of useless and unimaginative images shared from even more meaningless Facebook users. The Long Beach Radio website has not been updated since spring.

There is a great feeling of disservice among residents, who for the past several years under Geoff Johnson and Cam Dennison, enjoyed the organization and production of the Hospice Society Radiothon. It's been the single most important event in Tofino's radio history, where tens of thousands of dollars are raised to assist the society, families and volunteers. Given the time required to get out into the community to gather donations and organize interviews and entertainment, there is no hope for the event this year.

CFPV-FM 98.6 in Pemberton had dead air for nearly four months. Making matters worse, it was during the 2010 Winter Olympics.

VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Re: Dead Air - CHMZ Tofino and CIMM Ucluelet

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 pm

uh-oh...it's the "Dead STL Blues Again, Mama" Here in the Goofy Islands, we know the feeling Dave: Satnam Media finally has the STL fixed on the CFSI-FM-One 102.1 repeater, albeit at -10 to -12dB below zero audio gain & some compression distortion on one channel after 6 months. Hope the poor guy that fixed it got paid.

Alternately, McBride could be switching LBR to the highly cost-efficient syndicated programming from "The All-Meditation Channel". The new LBR slogans will be "LBR - All silence, all the time" or "LBR - the station with your mind in mind" and "LBR - the station deep in (burp) YOUR thoughts!" C'mon Dave, don't be a party pooper - try it:

Blacken all the windows in the room and turn CHMZ/CIMM up REALLY loud on your stereo. (well...not TOO loud...ya don't want those nasty ground hums coming through!) Place a comfy pillow/cusheon/blanket equidistant between the L + R speakers onto the floor. Now sit down on the floor and cross your legs. Let your arms relax and close your eyes. Now take a deeeeeeeeeeppp breath. Hold onto it. Now gently & slowly let it out and at the same time chant:

oooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (long pause)

There! Now don't you FEEL better about your local radio programming??? See the potential?

On the other hand, it could just be a format switching stunt to 'all-polka'... :groovy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Again I enjoy your humor and optimism from the lovely Gulf Islands.

I really don't know what to make of this latest fiasco, after all any insiders are now outsiders. I'll ask if JJ repo'd the computer he paid for out-of-pocket.

Matthew is the lone employee as far as this place is concerned, yet he hired THREE people to work one drive position in Port Moody? It makes no sense. For all I know, he probably doesn't even know his system is down. Either that his internet is down and can't do his daily randomized play listing. I do know the transmitter is operating an unmodulated carrier, so any problem in the system should be fixable quickly. The way that studio is set up, the compressor can be patched around or alternative channels selected. In the event of total studio failure, the production computer can go online at the slide of a pot. Or an iPod or CD player.

He doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry to fix anything. He's run out favors to call in when his stuff needs rebooted. He cannot even appoint a single person to run an annual benefit, or even sit in the position himself? Apparently dead air, loss of revenue and poor service take a back seat to whatever higher priority scenario he's imagined.

Negligence is glaringly apparent in this case.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:11 pm

what goes around comes around - guess there's nobody to go down and reboot that computer any more. Haha...maybe JJ DID go down and take his computer back! :-) Oh well, so far there's no snow on Sutton Pass or Hydro Hill so it'll be a nice drive out to the coast from the lower mainland.

It's hard to say what the problem is. I doubt MM has lost his internet connection or ability to control & program from his home in RIchmond. With nobody else at the throttle, it seems the only means of keeping programming on air at LBR 90.1/99.5 If the stations use an IP-based STL system, there's always a means of monitoring even if it's verification that a piece of equipment has failed. While employed at CFSI, I could quickly monitor & control most facets of the IP-based STL' both 107.9 and 102.1 transmitters, the webstream and network traffic speed/bandwidth with my laptop & a wireless connection. I could also remotely operate and command the automation software on the main on-air computer via my laptop. Of course, LBR could also be dead due to unpaid Internet out on the coast which you alluded to in a previous post. No internet = no STL = dead carrier.

My guess is that if these stations stay off for too long, local residents won't even bother turning on 90.1/99.5 to see if anything is on there. Folks on the coast must be getting tired of failed radio stations & will lose interest quickly. Ditto local first responders, emergency personnel & advertisers. Very sad...
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:05 pm

I have knowledge the Ukee link was down because he was cut off for non-payment. Amazing how rob Peter to pay Paul works!. Here in Tofino, those holding the bag are not just employees, but landlords too. There cannot be anything so wrong with the studio that something patched into the phone line can't get you back on the air. I've taken his studios offline many times and ran a patch from an mp3 player.

Dialing the studio number I get a "number not assigned" message. My senses tell me Telus pulled the plug.

:sad3: For shame.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 pm

The stale jukebox that is CHMZ came back on the air today. This is what a volunteer posted:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/304660869605/

"Just a quick FYI to the folks of Tofino, LBR is back on the air and hopefully(if there is a computer monitor in the studio) I can do my show tomorrow night!!"
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:54 pm

The way this story has been unfolding, I had not realized that there was even a physical presence, i.e. - studio, in Tofino. And/or the locks had been changed due to eviction notice or lack of property taxes paid.

It will be interesting to hear if the volunteer announcer actually is able to do his show, given all the reasons that a working studio may not be in place.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 pm

keep us posted Dave. Meanwhile, I noticed McBride got a license renewal for CFPV Pemberton so assume this station must also be back on air:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-700.htm

there's some good reading in the decision...
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:03 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:keep us posted Dave. Meanwhile, I noticed McBride got a license renewal for CFPV Pemberton so assume this station must also be back on air:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-700.htm

there's some good reading in the decision...

Interesting. Latest reports indicated it's not on the air. Apparently actual broadcasting isn't required for license renewal, neither is negligent payment as affirmed in the undertaking.

I will check again and if anyone else in Pemberton is able to do an air check, please confirm.

I had the radio on here most of the day. One sponsored ad, once every two hours. I fail to understand how anyone can make back wages or retroactive CCD payments with that kind of revenue stream.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:10 pm

VE7LGD de VE7SKA - if CFPV is NOT on air, that might explain the final paragraph in the decision which I will copy-n-paste for perusal. I do recommend reading the whole decision carefully...some good laughs in there!

from the CRTC decision:

"Reminder
20. Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the Commission reminds the licensee that the broadcasting licence will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses."

Does this mean if you have NO transmitter or STL and cannot pass regular IC inspection that you will have your Technical Certificate cancelled/revoked/suspended and THEN as a consequence lose your CRTC license????
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:31 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:Does this mean if you have NO transmitter or STL and cannot pass regular IC inspection that you will have your Technical Certificate cancelled/revoked/suspended and THEN as a consequence lose your CRTC license????

VE7LGD de VE7SKA

Who knows? None of this makes any sense anymore, whatsoever.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Without researching, I'm not sure of the CRTC's procedures involved if a broadcaster shuts down temporarily or for an undefined time with a presumed return to service. I am familiar with Industry-Canada procedures for temp shut-down however and these are pretty straight forward. In the US, it's somewhat simpler - broadcasters file for "STA" (Silent Temp Authority) for either an inoperative TX or part of an STL system

Meanwhile we're into our 6th month without audio on CFSI-FM-1 serving south Salt Spring. The few times it has been back on air recently, it's always -10dB to -15dB below zero gain and is impossible to listen to in a vehicle. 20 watts ERP won't do much without proper modulation. South end residents here have given up on it. I wonder if CFSI advertisers know they are only audible on approx 1/2 the island??
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:Meanwhile we're into our 6th month without audio on CFSI-FM-1 serving south Salt Spring

I just got an air check from Ucluelet. It's inaudible.

Perhaps it's just me, but am I right in assuming that being underserved from distant headquarters on the backs of employees and artists is all we can expect from local independent radio?
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby erratics » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:10 pm

I sense MM hasn't made a whole lot with these stations for a long time, if at all. With all the crappy and unreliable local service with these stations, perhaps the time has come for locals in Tofino and Ucluelet to try to buy/bring back these stations to create a public or private station(s) that's an informative and compelling listen for the folks in that part of the world. Maybe that's been tried, I don't know.
erratics
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:41 am

erratics wrote:I sense MM hasn't made a whole lot with these stations for a long time, if at all. With all the crappy and unreliable local service with these stations, perhaps the time has come for locals in Tofino and Ucluelet to try to buy/bring back these stations to create a public or private station(s) that's an informative and compelling listen for the folks in that part of the world. Maybe that's been tried, I don't know.

For you and me, that's a reasonable suggestion. Not McBride though, he figures it's all worth millions. All one needs to do is the math based on the % owed to CCD over the years to realize all of it's not worth a plunk nickel. Flogging a dead horse or the writing on the wall are terms I'd use to describe this fiasco.

Nobody in their right mind would absorb his debt unless they acquired the assets of the company for pennies on the dollar. The CRTC in their renewals indicate he's 10k in arrears with CCD payable by Jan 17 for one location. He was in arrears to a similar amount for Tofino on the same issue. There are also outstanding judgments and other actions pending to the tune of tens of thousands, that doesn't even include loans or creditors.

Pemberton is off the air. Ucluelet is streamed from Tofino. So for all intents and purposes, two of his stations are dark, having no studios or assets other than a couple of abused transmitters scabbed together on someone else's property for thankless no rent. The only ads I heard today were from Orca Air and Seaview Cable. He flew in, so the former is a tit for tat and the latter offsets a creditor. It's a small town, everybody knows everybody and we know these things. Zero revenue. Most of his sponsors have pulled the pin, and several make no bones about it on social networks when it comes to making that known.

Port Moody's CKPM isn't setting the world on fire when it comes to ad revenue, either.

It pains me to report these things, especially in the season of giving :presents1: , but McBride has created a monster and has inflicted serious damage on people, their families and these communities. He sticks to his guns with his self absolving "there are no apologies in radio". With that attitude and all the damage he's done, I have no sympathy for him, either.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia