Brand director issues apology on CKNW

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Brand director issues apology on CKNW

Postby Coolcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Jim Walters wrote:
Great stuff from a station that promotes Pink Shirt Day.

Sounds like IK is running around the station apologizing on request (even at 7am). He is probably desperate enough to be convinced to donate half his salary to the Pink Shirt Day kitty.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:09 pm

This just in via a Twitter post time-stamped 12:54 from @radiorockstars:

Corus meeting right now to take action on @CKNW #violenceagainstwomen @CorusPR @ronniestanton #IanKonegfest (sic) @drex @CFOXvan @chrisgailus
kal
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:58 pm

We've been this way before with that "milf" thing...

Leopards can't change their spots...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Let's see how the CRTC handles this.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:33 pm

NW Tweet at 3:30 pm:

Jeff O'Neil show will not be on air Thursday or Friday, as scheduled. Show to return in early 2015. #CFOX
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Most of us have probably never heard of Bill C-43 but when it passed into law last week, it gave the CRTC a power it never had before: the ability to levy fines of up to $10 million for any broadcaster that violates the rules and regs set out by the commission.

Before that, the CRTC was able to order a station to air a public mea culpa or shorten their license, but doling out a serious financial penalty wasn't in their mandate. It is now.

*CORUS must be having fits.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 pm

CFOX host Jeff O'Neil provokes outrage with 'F***, kill or marry' question
Vancouver radio stations apologize, take show off air until 2015

CBC News Posted: Dec 17, 2014 8:12 AM PT Last Updated: Dec 17, 2014 7:25 PM PT

During a show show Tuesday, CFOX radio host Jeff O'Neil touched off a firestorm after he proposed that a guest host
ask federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau a question that many found offensive and misogynistic. (CFOX/Flickr)

Two Vancouver radio stations have apologized and taken a show off the air until the new year after its host made a controversial comment that touched off a storm on social media on Tuesday.

During the show, CFOX host Jeff O'Neil proposed that CKNW guest host Chris Gailus ask federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau a question — which many found offensive and misogynistic — during an upcoming interview.

O'Neil suggested that Gailus ask Trudeau whom he would "F, kill or marry," among Laureen Harper (the prime minister's wife), Health Minister Rona Ambrose or former governor general Michaëlle Jean.

Gailus, the regular evening news host on Global Television, was criticized on social media for appearing to go along with the joke. He and sports host Squire Barnes, who was also on the show, later issued apologies on Twitter, with Gailus saying he was caught off guard by the offensive comment.

Both CKNW and Global Television have since issued an apology for the latest incident. The Jeff O'Neil Show will return to CFOX on an undisclosed date in the new year, and its scheduled shows on Thursday and Friday were also cancelled, CKNW said.

“This morning on CKNW there was some very inappropriate comments and suggestions made that were offensive to many of our listeners. I would like to apologize for that and assure that those comments will not be repeated on this radio station," said Ian Koenigsfest, brand manager of CKNW.

"I would also like to apologize to Chris Gailus and Squire Barnes, who are hosting the CKNW Morning Show this week, for being put in an awkward situation from which they were unaware, and assure them that such a situation will not occur again.”

Read the full story at: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2876099
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Nice to see some of Drex's and O'Neil's female co-workers tweeting comments on this situation in the CBC story.

It must be tough working in the same place as idiots like this pair.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Dale » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:51 pm

This is what happens when a jocks life is so insulated from the real world. Too much visiting the same websites/forums, too much hanging out with others of like mind and way too much swallowing whole the praise of listeners.

To the majority you're not anything close to funny, let alone a comedian. This became obvious when he briefly left his cocoon and into the nw studios.
Dale

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Has anyone heard if O'Neill is back on air?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby pamstevens » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Deep breath everyone....

Now that I don't work there anymore, may I share? The game has been played for years. Sure, it might be better around the campfire than on the radio because you can generally read the audience when there's a few having beers and being goofs. However, they've played the games many times before - with both men AND women being asked to name who they would eff, kill or marry. Equal opportunity to be a doofus and join in the fun.

Now, no actual effing, killing or marrying actually ever happens. We should all realize that it's "Eff if I could because I asked and they said yes ... and didn't really kill them but I don't want to eff or marry them...and then not really marry them because we might not really love each other but I think they're kind of awesome". That however, is a lousy title for a bit!? These guys are also not the only ones to have thought of it, it was recently front and centre on MTV and Ricky Gervais called it his favourite interview ever! It's just silly imagining and I'm really sorry that some people had actual buttons pushed, that's a shame.

To my point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRpXKRgK1Y

I love that I was called out as being a misogynist based on a pms & chocolate post I put up that same afternoon. I know in the age of the Jian Ghomeshis and Bill Cosbys the atmosphere is electric for people to take offence or be incensed but Jeff & co. playing that game is far from the problem, IMHO and sometimes, I just NEED chocolate. :)

Why Drex is being dragged through the mud for standing up for a co-worker and having nothing to do with the original conversation is beyond me as well.

Should have probably taken the high road on this but there ya go.

*oops, had to edit a bad use of apostrophes*
pamstevens
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia