Musical chairs for Vancouver radio?

Radio News from British Columbia

Musical chairs for Vancouver radio?

Postby kal » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Couple of observations from recent days...

1. Traffic reporter Kim Larsson, arguably the best of the local traffic reporting pool, is usually heard with Sterling Faux on CISL. However he also surfaces on CKNW and this evening on the Global News Hour. I don't notice any of the other traffic reporters in the Vancouver market appearing on more than one station, at least not for stations with different owners.

2. My favourite radio news anchor has to be Jim Bennie over at News 1130. He always has wonderful anecdotes and a knack for making the show sound spontaneous. In recent days I've heard him doing overnight sports. Hopefully this isn't indicative of a move away from the news anchor position.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Musical chairs for Vancouver radio?

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Kim and I worked together for a couple of years and he was a pistol and a VERY nice guy. I think he is freelance now....as they trimmed CKWX. I may be wrong.

Jim Bennie is wasted on all nights. The guy is a facile pro.

I was lucky - to work with both of these very fine folks.

Hope they both have a great 2015 - you too!
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:11 am

Two things. Kim Larsson has worked for the Canadian Traffic Network for a couple of years. That's why he shows up on the various stations that contract their traffic reports to CTN.

As for Bennie, if memory serves me right he has done evening sports over Christmas for years on News1130 so the younger sports folks can spend time with their families. He also loves it. (Though he probably wishes baseball was played in the winter) I am assuming he will be back in his regular PM drive slot if not this coming week, then after the New Year for sure.

Rest easy.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Kim sounds really smooth on Global tonight.

He was always such a pleasure to work with - he is a real pro.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:41 am

Anyone have observations on the sports director, such as the sports department is at CKNW, filling in for Jon McComb this week?
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:37 am

kal wrote:Anyone have observations on the sports director, such as the sports department is at CKNW, filling in for Jon McComb this week?

The three weeks with no McComb has been interesting to say the least. So nice to see Dan Russell's old buddy Marblemouth had a kick at the cat. :cat2:

One of the traffic reporters did sports on Boxing Day morning, he was 100 times better than Marblemouth.

Other than the couple of days with Squire and Randine, it's been pretty low budget small town radio.

Like they say, you pay peanuts, you get Monkeys working for ya.

Somedays I have to stop myself from going out on the balcony and screaming "Bring back Till"!
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia