Greg Douglas column goes to bi-weekly

Radio News from British Columbia

Greg Douglas column goes to bi-weekly

Postby kal » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:04 am

The long-running Dr. Sport column by Greg Douglas in the Vancouver Sun has gone bi-weekly. The regular Saturday column was missing last week and today's re-appearance contains a notice about the new frequency.

The Douglas column has broken many a Vancouver radio personality story over the years. It is interesting to hear from people who say they buy the Saturday edition of the paper just to read that column. Presumably the move is part of the continual cost-cutting at Pacific Newspaper Group.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Greg Douglas column goes to bi-weekly

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Only column I read...IF i buy a paper, which is rarely.....people are digital and all trad media is just freaking.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 am

I believe that The Sun and The Province are still profitable newspapers. And should you happen to be in say a MacDonalds around breakfast time take note of the number of people reading one or the other (admittedly provided by the store). I was in a Macdonalds other than the one I typically go to on a Saturday. All copies of The Sun were out. I patiently waited for one but I noticed that each was purloined and went out the door with the reader. I'm pretty sure that a full page ad in say The Sun still goes for well over $10k.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:59 pm

how can something be purloined if it's given to you?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:how can something be purloined if it's given to you?

When it is given with conditions. Dictionary definition of purloin fits nicely here. "to appropriate wrongfully and often by a breach of trust".

The newspapers are given to customers for use within the restaurant.

A guy I worked with years ago told me about the days of being a newspaper carrier and having to go downtown every Saturday morning to settle the money he had collected. With some friends, he went to a restaurant for breakfast. After eating, they used the free sugar from the big container on the table to build a dike around the perimeter of the table, and used the free syrup in the big container on the table to make a table-sized lake. They weren't surprised when they were thrown out of the restaurant. None of them defended themselves saying that the sugar and syrup are free.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia