Vancouver's Newest Huckster

Radio News from British Columbia

Vancouver's Newest Huckster

Postby Jim Walters » Mon May 11, 2015 8:37 pm

How sad it is.

I was totally shocked when I first heard and then saw the on camera spots with Bill Good endorsing some reverse mortgage joint.

Tonight I get a call from the Mayor's Council. The recorded message was none other than Bill Good now pimping himself for the Yes side on the transit levy.

Did this poor guy not make enough cash while he was working two high profile jobs for several years?

Bill Good may just be the new Red Robinson.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver's Newest Huckster

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon May 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Everyone is entitled to make a living. :pottytrain2:

Some people do more than make just a living - take Jim Pattison :lol:

Some people like nice homes, fancy cars and are prepared to keep busy and pay for them - take Bill and Red :towel:

I read ENVY here. I just leased a new car - need money to pay for it - so I must work until I am 90.

:violent1: Take the high road and don't envy other people.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed May 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Everyone is entitled to make a living. :pottytrain2:

Some people do more than make just a living - take Jim Pattison :lol:

Some people like nice homes, fancy cars and are prepared to keep busy and pay for them - take Bill and Red :towel:

I read ENVY here. I just leased a new car - need money to pay for it - so I must work until I am 90.

:violent1: Take the high road and don't envy other people.

You must have got quite the car if it's going to take 25 years of lease payments to pay it off.

When I get a new car, I pay cash for it.

No envy here.

No need to sell my soul to the devil so I can put T-Bones on the table rather than KD.

Enjoy your new car while it's new.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Wed May 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Nothing but respect here for Mr. Good - and I would never resent anyone wanting to work at any age - but I think those commercials seem extremely tacky (plus, encouraging people to go into debt with a high interest loan company is not exactly the most positive thing you can do for society).
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed May 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Conceptually, Reverse Mortgages can fulfill a need for Seniors who want to stay in their own house but don't "need" to pass along any money to their children when they die. Especially in a market like Vancouver, and many other Canadian markets, where they may have close to a million dollars tied up in their house. Like everything else, of course, there are many companies offering deals that benefit them a lot more than the Seniors they are supposed to be serving.

Listening to old airchecks from the Sixties reminds me that Top 40 stations often aired commercials for products and services that were pretty bad for their listeners.
  • "Consolidate your debts into one monthly payment with us, and we'll charge you higher interest rates, but you won't notice because we'll give you a longer Term to lower your monthly payments."
  • Or the fake "Speed" drug that was the subject of one WKRP Episode, where a high school kid collapsed in gym class and had to be rushed to hospital, after taking some of this stuff to stay awake longer and study the night before
I actually had more issues with the former mayor of Edmonton who recently lead the ad campaign for Uber at a time when the current City Council was trying to negotiate a deal with them.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia