Fill in hosts at NW should be permanent hosts

Radio News from British Columbia

Fill in hosts at NW should be permanent hosts

Postby Jim Walters » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:37 pm

In the past couple weeks I've almost become a CKNW listener again.

Mike Smyth is a ray of sunshine doing fill in for Simi Sara. It's nice to hear someone talk about the issues of the day and actually take calls from listeners. It's talk radio being done the way talk radio was meant to be done. Like many others, I want to hear the voices of the listeners. The host or the producer reading Twitter, Facebook or Email responses doesn't cut the mustard. It's also nice that Mike doesn't have to call on Marblemouth the sports guy for his input on any or every subject under the sun. I'm delighted that Marblemouth Sheldon has his feet fixed, next stop should be the Good Mouth Store for some speech therapy.

Perhaps Corus could set Simi up with a little storefront Book Shop somewhere where she could share her book reviews and recommendations with those who really care. Oprah she isn't.

Sam Ferris is doing a great job with the evening slot. Nice to hear some post dinner intelligence. Even the banter with producer Eric is on a mature level.

Perhaps the brass at the Top Dog tower will make some permanent changes that might bring back disillusioned listeners.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Re: Fill in hosts at NW should be permanent hosts

Postby kal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:20 pm

Agreed re: Mike Smyth. Easily the best talk show host on air in the Vancouver market. In the absence of Smyth I'm considering a switch to Roundhouse 983.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:20 am

Speaking of 'NW, how's this for a tweet from the main @CKNW feed this morning:

So. California was shook by a mag. 4.2 earthquake this morning. Hitting a little before 5am, 50 m. east of L.A. no damage or injury reported.

Was shook?
kal
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:55 am

Shook... but not stirred...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby retireddxer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:11 pm

What caught my attention was 50 m.

That is 50 metres in Canada-speak. It should be Miles and media here always seems to convert to metric. 50 miles is such an easy one to do, too, as it works out to almost exactly 80 km.
retireddxer

Postby kal » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Good catch on the 50 m.
kal
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia