Lights Out for Lights Out on CFMI

Radio News from British Columbia

Lights Out for Lights Out on CFMI

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:48 pm

I just heard that CFMI has Rock 101 has cut Lights Out and producer Owen Coppin.

This was probably one of the longest running shows on Vancouver radio. Back in 1980 or 1981 when John Oliver and myself started Lights Out on Sunday nights on CFMI, it was an easy way to rack up a couple of hours of Spoken Word programming each week (part of the license commitment in those days). We'd go down to Jack Cullen's studio in the Parkcrest Shopping Centre in Burnaby every couple of weeks and grab a bunch of Jack's old 1/4 track reel to reel tapes and dub them to full track for use on CFMI. Over the years we built up a decent sized library that was also used in later years on the WIN radio network.

Long after John and myself left, Owen took over producing and operating the two hour Sunday night slot when the station was still in New Westminster at McBride Plaza. He added tons of shows to the library from his own collection and from stuff he bought.

Sorry to see the show end along with Owen's job at CFMI.

The Rock 101 website still offers the shows as podcasts (from the CKNW Network Replay collection).
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Lights Out for Lights Out on CFMI

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:38 pm

I feel for Owen, as I am sure he took great pride in his contribution to this show, for all those years.

Radio. Does anyone care?

Most of my friends don't listen....except for traffic = and a lot of them are using APPS for traffic updates. OOPS.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Radio. Does anyone care?

Most of my friends don't listen....except for traffic = and a lot of them are using APPS for traffic updates. OOPS.

Numeris doesn't release the full period CUME anymore, just the daily average CUME. Nonetheless, they say that just over two hundred thousand people listen to CFMI-FM on an average day. For at least one minute.

CKNW only has 150,400, despite much better SHARE ratings (9.8 v.s. 7.2).
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:05 pm

radiofan wrote:I just heard that CFMI has Rock 101 has cut Lights Out and producer Owen Coppin.

Awww, say it ain't so! Lights Out was an important part of my childhood (and later too). The "theatre of the mind" is what I love and Lights Out was a weekly dose of OTR that complemented what Jack Cullen ran on Network Replay the other six days of the week.

Thank you for starting what proved to be decades of entertainment.

Trivia: Lights Out was on air just about as long as the entire OTR era itself lasted, if one counts from Amos & Andy in 1928 to the end of Suspense in 1962.

Man, they sure don't want us listening to the radio no more...
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:38 pm

Wow - 200,000 cume, in a city this size?

The am band is toast.

'Lights Out' does indeed carry the thread of the History of the media - as pointed out, that carries us back to the start of the medium.

That medium, like every other media is undergoing a sea change - and what's coming is going to be really a different beast.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby serrebi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:39 am

Regardless of the changing radio landscape, this show will be missed. A lot of my high school sundays were spent listening to this and switching between CFOX and lightsout... It's been said before but this program is how I found OTR, along with network replay: RIP: At least there's
http://otrrlibrary.org/
serrebi

Return to British Columbia