Vancouver Station on list of Govt of China backed Stations

Radio News from British Columbia

Vancouver Station on list of Govt of China backed Stations

Postby Coolcat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 am

Looks like CHMB has made the list of stations around the world spreading Chinese government propaganda.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/spe ... ina-radio/
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver Station on list of Govt of China backed Statio

Postby jon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:41 am

Interesting.

In the early '70s, I knew of at least one Canadian station on Radio Moscow's mailing list to receive weekly broadcasts on tape; not sure if they ever actually aired them. I don't remember anyone getting Radio Peking tapes at that time though.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:40 pm

Boy - talk about cheek. They also screw up our housing. Boats seen off the Coast reporting Chinese Subs in the area. What the heck are we doing here? We have done nothing. Trudeau better tell the World we are nice, but we'll not get bandied about.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:39 pm

jon wrote:Interesting.

In the early '70s, I knew of at least one Canadian station on Radio Moscow's mailing list to receive weekly broadcasts on tape; not sure if they ever actually aired them. I don't remember anyone getting Radio Peking tapes at that time though.

Wasn't 1470 that I recall!

Um, why is CHMB/1320 singled out? I did run across them carrying CRI in Engkish for an hour in mid-evening a number of years ago.

But CHIN/1540 in Tranna has a web entry pointing to 12 hours from CRI, 7 pm to 7 am

<http://www.chinradio.com/cri>

Their main programme sked shows Chinese with a notation of not for sale. A quick TuneIn check a few minutes ago at ~12.25 am EST had CRI in English.

Johnny Lombardi must be rolling...

But hey, probably all cable systems and telco IP feeds across Canada relay Merkin TV stations... so?
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby swan_ch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:56 pm

I used to check CHMB a lot since I moved to Vancouver for a few year in late-2000 till early-2010 so I can see a big shift of CHMB from a local station into a puppet of G&E, As far as I knew (or what I have heard), CHMB used to be a Cantonese-based channel since the "Oversea Chinese Voice" (current Mainstream Broadcasting) bought the station in 1993(-ish?) soon after Fairchild bought CJVB.

CHMB was always mocked as the "old-fart" station in the Chinese community as the station was targeting early Chinese immigrants after the shift(as compare to those post-80's "new" Chinese immigrants who majority listen to CJVB). It was not until 2006 when G&E bought almost half of the the air-time to broadcast CRI programs: 1-2pm in Cantonese, 7-8pm in English and 8pm-6am in Mandarin which hold very low ridership and people start move away from CHMB, I still remember there were a moment on their annual station celeb. party that non-Mainstream broadcasting staff surveying audiences for some feedback about the CRI programs but very few people responded. Then sometime between 2012-2013, G&E start gaining control of CHMB (as CHMB start naming itself a part of G&E Group in their non current affair Chinese program) and they dropped the Cantonese and English CRI program and replacing some G&E Programs in their Mandarin slot.

On a side note: one of the DJ that left CHMB after G&E take ownership told me the shifts of the stands of the station was one of the reasons that DJ left.
swan_ch

Return to British Columbia