Rogers gets into the Pre Christmas cut back spirit

Radio News from British Columbia

Rogers gets into the Pre Christmas cut back spirit

Postby sparky » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 pm

Sorry to hear about Forbes and Marshall being tossed aside by Rogers at 98.5 The Ocean in Victoria.

Look what 19 years of ratings and loyalty gets you.

If you're still in the biz and making a good buck, you've got a target on your back.

The money grubbing shareholders don't give a rat's ass about how long you've been there, how great your ratings are or how loyal an employee you've been.

If Rogers is so concerned about a few bucks, how is it they can keep a multi-million dollar non-performing Morning show on the totally underperforming 104.9 Kiss FM in Vancouver?
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Re: Rogers gets into the Pre Christmas cut back spirit

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:27 pm

What Sparky said.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby thedriveyyc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:39 pm

sparky wrote:If Rogers is so concerned about a few bucks, how is it they can keep a multi-million dollar non-performing Morning show on the totally underperforming 104.9 Kiss FM in Vancouver?

My guess? An iron-clad contract that'll cost them a butt-load of money to buy out.

Jeff @ TheDriveYYC.com
thedriveyyc

Postby rwbrown » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:02 am

I once remember working somewhere going through departures and there was a chaulk board. Somebody wrote, "Would the last person to leave XXXX please turn off the lights." Seems fitting seeing what is going on lately. An old friend that was also let go in Victoria would know exactly where and who wrote those words.
rwbrown

Postby Jim Walters » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:13 am

Anyone remember when creativity and personality ruled the roost at radio stations?

The station with the best personalities had the ratings. Great creative promotions got people listening and talking about the station.

And then of course, there was variety.

In today's world, there are very few personalities left, and there is no new ones on the way.

As long as the bean counters are running the show, all that matters is keeping the shareholders happy, not what comes out of the transmitter.

If all they want is kids fresh out of trade school reading liner cards for $12 an hour, they can have it.

It's no wonder fewer and few people are listening to the radio anymore.

It looks like a nice day for a drive, so I think I'll take the '73 Dodge Dart out for a spin and listen to some 8 tracks!
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:24 pm

What did come first - the chicken or the egg.

I worked in radio when the personalities still shone

Monty, Fred, Red, Roy, Brian, Rick

and promotions were King

When did it actually change that stations had less listeners and or less personality?

I believe the die was cast when "corpse" took over from the family business in big cities and small.

I had 15 great years - never looked back however.

Love to jump in the old car and listen to Shayne in Spokane :occasion7:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Love to jump in the old car and listen to Shayne in Spokane :occasion7:

He is still around, in the Carolinas, last I heard. Though he hasn't been on the air for a couple of decades, after a failed experiment with an All 80s format by a PD who hired him to do Morning Drive.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia