TSN 1040 dumps evening talk show

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: TSN 1040 dumps evening talk show

Postby Big Voice » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Coolcat wrote:What I cant understand how they can justify multiple hosts throughout the day. The afternoon shift has THREE people as hosts. They could save a ton of money having one host per show outside of mornings. When you consider some of the useless chatter with a producer there are even more 'hosts'. Maybe they can then afford more live shows without having to resort to UnCanadian programming like Fox Sports and ESPN.

I'm a new listener to sports radio, but I find the 3 host afternoon show, very entertaining. :cheers:
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:55 am

Jim Walters wrote:Does this tell us evening sports talk shows are a thing of the past in Vancouver?

If an all sports station can't make it work and has to fill the airtime with ESPN crap from the states, it seems to me the format is toast.

Ponder this.

Overdependance on things American is the downfall of Canadian culture.

Live, local, sports talk radio is alive and well in Canada's biggest markets, including Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto.

Why not in Vancouver.

Go to any city in the United States with a population of over 100,000 and chances are, a local sports talk station has at least one to two local sportstalk shows.

Even in dumps that I've visited, like Spokane, Washington, and Albany., New York, sports talk radio flourishes !

It's embarassing that British Columbians have to go to Calgary, Deadmonton, or Toronto to listen to an evening sports talk radio show.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby CVIK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:37 am

COOLCAT has it...how Bell can cut people left, right and centre...yet still employ three bloated shows.
How much $ must they be paying Bro?
Could they not trim the fat on those shows and keep a guy like Patterson who actually is quite useful?
3 blowhards in the afternoon is ridiculous...the show often feels jumbled and they all try to one up each other with their...uh..."wit".
Not to mention the CONSTANT sponsorship plugs (paid and unpaid)...it's awful.
C.
CVIK

Postby Tighthead » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:01 pm

The drive hosts are all good with sponsors. Jake has some Diesel engine repair service advertising. How many listeners have a commercial diesel in need of repair?

Montreal and Ottawa are only live local on game nights.

Outside of the drive hours radio as a whole is a diminishing industry.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:34 pm

This wasn't new, Botchford had reported it weeks ago (same day JP was let go).
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia