More "efficiency" job cuts coming: this time at Rogers.

Radio News from British Columbia

More "efficiency" job cuts coming: this time at Rogers.

Postby kal » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:34 am

Rogers Media says it will be eliminating 200 jobs, using the now-common "to be more efficient" language adopted by others in the media business.

The cuts will occur in February and, to use more vague language "will conclude as soon as possible." They will occur across all divisions of the Rogers Media business.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/01/25/rogers-media-to-cut-workforce-4-200-tv-radio-publishing-and-admin-jobs/
kal
Advanced Member

Re: More "efficiency" job cuts coming: this time at Rogers.

Postby tuned » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Blame the CRTC. Their meddling in the broadcast industry is at the root of all the problems. They allowed the consolidation. Their latest scheme "the skinny bundle" is going to make internet rates soar. Whatever revenue Rogers, Bell and Shaw lose on the cable side they will make up on the ISP side. I live in downtown Vancouver and have exactly one option for internet. Shaw. Telus offers a "limited" service that is constricted by the fact that it runs over twenty year old twisted pair telephone wires. In the end the "skinny bundle" is going to be a money maker for the likes of Shaw because they will be able to give me less and charge me more. The CRTC is not a friend of consumers. They are the best friend of Shaw, Rogers and Bell. Until the average Joe figures it out they are going to continue getting hosed.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:32 pm

tuned wrote:I live in downtown Vancouver and have exactly one option for internet. Shaw.

Are you sure about that? I recently had a conversation with a guy in Calgary who switched his Home Phone and Internet from Shaw to someone else who used the same Shaw cable to provide the same services to him for about $50/month less than he had been paying Shaw. No contract and this was not just an introductory price.

Only difference that I'm aware of was that he had to buy his own hardware (e.g. - modem(s)) as, unlike Shaw, his new service provider had a rental rate that strongly encouraged purchasing equipment.

The only real downside of the story was that it took almost a week to get things working properly as the new service provider had to wait for Shaw to fix something.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:42 pm

The last time I checked I couldn't find anything. I did find one ISP that operates downtown but they told me my building was too small for them to provide service. I'll take another look.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Postscript:

From what I've been able to determine when I researched this whole thing about a year ago: only one service provider at a time can use whatever "pipes" you have into your residence. For example, another Service Provider could not use your (Shaw-owned) coaxial cable connection to provide you with Internet and Home Phone if you wanted to keep you Shaw Cable TV service. Likewise, if you still want TELUS Home Phone, another Service Provider could not use your (TELUS-owned) twisted pair cable into your residence. You'd need to verify that, as I've never seen clear information verifying this situation one way or the other.

As for fibre optic cable into your residence, the CRTC has so far not forced the owners of those cables to allow other Service Providers access.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm

tuned wrote:The last time I checked I couldn't find anything. I did find one ISP that operates downtown but they told me my building was too small for them to provide service. I'll take another look.

I'll look, too, and get back to you, in this thread.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Novus: These guys run fibre into a lot of buildings in Downtown Vancouver. It is worth checking their map to see if your building is included: http://www.novusnow.ca/check-availability/ Admittedly, the West End seems to be entirely left out. I list them first because everyone who writes about them thinks they beat any competitor for speed and price.

Use Shaw's coaxial cable into your residence:
Lightspeed: http://www.lightspeed.ca/personal/ratescable.html#table
Teksavvy: type your postal code into here and see about availability: http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable
Yak: type your postal code into here and see about availability: https://www.yak.ca/unlimited-high-speed ... t-provider
Distributel: type your address, wait for a rather long response, then click on the Cable tab: https://www.distributel.ca/en/cat/Internet (I tried QM's old home of 1134 Burrard and there was service there).
SkywayWest: intended for business with a bunch of reliability improvements, and higher cost: http://www.skywaywest.com/high-speed-bu ... -internet/
AEBC: Not sure what they mean by "Vancouver Waterfront": http://www.aebc.com/residential-service ... -internet/
Vancouver Internet: They offer cable-based Internet, but need your postal code here for more details: http://www.vancouverinternet.ca/vancouv ... iders.html

If that doesn't provide you a solution, you can continue my Google search: vancouver cable internet
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks! Novus was the one that looked promising but they aren't available in my building. I'll check out some of the other ones.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Sorry for drifting back to what the thread is about but, please let George Strombolopolous be one of them.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:36 pm

If you have Telus home phone (wired,) you can get Teksavvy DSL.
It uses Telus for the last mile, from their downtown building through your phone line.
Teksavvy has it's own fiber pipe from Toronto to Vancouver.
Cheaper, more friendly customer service based in Chatham, Ontario, higher download caps and free unlimited downloads during the overnight period.
49 bucks a month for 15/1 internet.
I've been a customer since they made their service available here in BC over 5 years ago.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:55 pm

tuned wrote:Thanks! Novus was the one that looked promising but they aren't available in my building. I'll check out some of the other ones.

I thought Novus was 'territorial' and restricted to buildings which sprang up on the old Expo lands in Yaletown and False Creek North.

My unreliable Grey Cells seem to recall the service arose out of Concord Pacific's monopoly on development of the world's fair site. The fight with the Commish focused on their being the sole occupier, and thus the cable system was in effect 'in house'... sort of like a building putting up an antenna and feeding to suites within, as in the Olde Days. There was great discussion at the time over whether to enforce the requirement for a community channel.

It must have been about the same time that Rogers and Shaw got to the stage of their west-east divide... and Shaw expanded from just the North Shore to take over every area except North Burnaby and Delta.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby drex » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:35 am

Thanks Mike & Jon, kind of you to share those tips.
drex

Postby jon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:55 am

For the record, my search excluded anyone using TELUS lines as tuned said that wouldn't work for him.

Novus has apparently expanded from the old Expo lands as their coverage map shows them up to Denman on W. Georgia.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:41 am

I have colleagues who swear by LightSpeed. They say "outstanding service", "great speed", "no caps", or variations thereof. They've basically cut their cable TV subscription, and then simply gone to a streaming solution. One fellow says the only channel his wife missed was HGTV but that he eventually found all their content is available on the channel's portal.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:43 am

Here's a quote from one of my colleagues about his Lightspeed service:

Price depends on the type of service you get and the plan you choose from that service. Both ADSL and Cable are available. After experiencing unstable connections on Cable, I opted for ADSL and have had a perfect connection for almost a year now.

Plans are posted in the link below. My wife and I chose the Plan "ADSL E", with the added option of unlimited data for an additional $5.00 per month. In brief, it is a 25Mbps connection down and a 3Mbps up for $56 per month, all in.

http://www.lightspeed.ca/personaladsl/
(Click ADSL or CABLE tab for pricing)
kal
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia