Sheldon gets a promotion on CKPM

Radio News from British Columbia

Sheldon gets a promotion on CKPM

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Dave moves up to a one hour 'live at 5pm' sports show on CKPM Port Moody...
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Sheldon gets a promotion on CKPM

Postby jon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Hmm. The CKPM web site has an item dated yesterday that says Dave is doing 3-6pm weekdays:

DAVE SHELDON TO JOIN CKPM 98.7!
Posted on April 14, 2016, by ckpmfm in News

Tri-City Radio is pleased to announce that Dave Sheldon will be joining the on-air lineup beginning April 25, 2016, as the afternoon host of ‘The Dave Sheldon Show’, airing 3-6 PM weekdays.

Well-known in the sports community as a unique commentator and personality, Dave has most recently been producing the “Sheldon On Sports” segment heard three times daily on CKPM-FM.

According to Program Director and Morning Host Rod MacBeth, “I am a big fan of how Dave relates to listeners. It’s like your spending time with a good friend. I am excited on what the future holds with Dave as a part of our team!”

Dave Sheldon: “I am thrilled to call Tri-City Radio my home and would like to thank both Rod and Matthew McBride for the opportunity. As a Port Coquitlam resident, I am excited not only to bring my show to the Tri-City area, but also throughout the Lower Mainland and online.”

jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Let's hope this doesn't end in tears.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:20 pm

15 hours a week to hear about Sheldo shooting 87 at various public courses that comp him.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Comp is probably the only thing he's getting out of McBride.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:56 pm

tuned wrote:Comp is probably the only thing he's getting out of McBride.

And lots of grief.

Given how (not) well the station is doing, he probably has to made 6 plugs an hour all week long for the golf course just for one free round of golf.

Truth be told, I'm surprised how quiet things have been lately at the station. Or is it so routine that it is no longer newsworthy?

More to the point, has the station ever resolved its issues with the CRTC?
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:28 pm

I don't mind Dave Sheldon.

I'm willing to bet that Sheldon will last a helluva lot longer than Alex (the 1,000,000 cum) Tsakumis. LOL (not !)

At least with Sheldon, we can be assured that he wont b.s. his numbers like the all knowing Alex once did.

We actually need a real sports talk show in the lower mainland.

No one has really picked up the baton since the retirement of Dan Russell and the 'NW decision to eshew all sports commentary was disrespectful to sports fans.

Perhaps the old fan base of Dan Russell's show will move to Sheldon's ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Alex did some great shows on CKPM despite the "spartan" facilities. He has the ability to entertain an audience and is a perfect example of what's wrong with corporate radio. He'll never be hired because he's a a loose cannon and would be a handful to manage
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:05 am

It seems (to me?) that the future of Lower mainland radio is not in conquering the Vancouver market with 50,000 watts. but rather, in these smaller neighborhood stations, like they are doing in Surrey with Kash Heed and with Roundhouse Radio.

This is smart business, because it makes a dent in the CBC's and Corus's profits, by creating niche radio.

By focusing on a smaller market or neighborhoods and with an albeit smaller transmitter reach and heavy internet presence, you can actually eke out a small living and profit, if you are expert at marketing and, you know what you are doing ?

If Sheldon can win over the local suburban business and sports crowd and embrace teams like the BCHL's Coquitlam Express and other local sports, then he's got a shot at it.

The main beef about CKPM is, it's a revolving door with no identifiable identity other than incessant change ? So, if Mathew McBride wants to change that, then he needs to put his money where his mouth is and get behind Dave Sheldon. Otherwise, get the hell out of the radio business and sell the licence to someone who does obviously give a damn ?
Last edited by the-real-deal on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:52 pm

CKPM carrried all of the Coquitlam Express hockey play-by-play all season.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:07 pm

PicturesForYourEars wrote:CKPM carrried all of the Coquitlam Express hockey play-by-play all season.

Be interesting to see the money trail on that one, who paid who and such.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Guy Smiley » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:35 am

Here's why I think it'll definitely end in tears.

It is assumed at this stage of the game that morning host/PD McBeth and others are working for free as the advertising on the station cannot possibly generate more than a few hundred dollars per month, at best. It is also assumed that the overwhelming majority of the advertising currently on air is contra or free advertising.

Clearly, Sheldon will also be expected to generate sales leads while working for free for the first few months until such a time when robust sales kick in and everyone is happy.

Dream on.

It's just not gonna happen.

It is evident to anyone familiar with McBride (or anyone with access to the internet) that 99.9% of the people who've had the misfortune of collaborating with McBride have left a few weeks or months later with a sour taste in their mouth and, more often than not, with money owed. Various former employees went to the Labour Board to get their money.

Add to this a terrestrial sound that is weak and crackly, even in some parts of the Tri Cities, and the fact that CKPM does not subscribe to Numeris, makes for a very difficult product to sell. But the overwhelming indicator that it will not succeed is that not one of McBride's radio stations has ever managed to turn a profit. Not one. Ever!

Why would it be any different today with Sheldon coming on board at CKPM? Comparisons with other micro-broadcasters such as Roundhouse and Pulse FM are not valid as those stations have owners who've invested substantial amounts of money in a professional-grade transmitter, equipment, studio space and experienced engineers. That is simply not the case with CKPM.
Guy Smiley

Postby the-real-deal » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Guy Smiley:

How many "for profit" radio stations have you managed or supervised.

If the answer is 'none' , can anything you say be taken seriously ? (as it seems to be the case with the vast majority of you armchair quarterbacks?) Then, it's the classic tale of the man living in the glass house throwing stones.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:18 pm

I think that we are going to have a problem here if everyone has to "qualify as an expert" to express an opinion. A couple of folks have tried that approach and it did not end well.

SOWNY, reelradio and even a site created by a disgruntled former radiowest member died or suffered a near death experience when one or more members insisted that no one speak unless they had the necessary expertise as defined by the member. It got so silly at one point at reelradio that it wasn't good enough to have been second banana on a morning show in Los Angeles, but you had to have been head banana on morning or afternoon drive in L.A., Chicago or New York City before you were allowed to express an opinion.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:27 pm

the-real-deal wrote:How many "for profit" radio stations have you managed or supervised.

Lets not forget how many Arthur Carlsons there are in the real world of radio and television.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia