Glen Morrison passes away

Radio News from British Columbia

Glen Morrison passes away

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:14 pm

I've lost another friend. Had lunch with Glen, along with Garry Raible and Tom Mark back in March. Talked to him a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know it would be for the last time. Rest In Peace my friend.

Story from KISS FM Vernon:

Posted on 6/13/2016 10:12 AM by Ron Manz

Glen Morrison, former Kiss FM and CJIB newsman passed away June 12
One of Vernon's most recognizable voices has been quieted.

Former newsman Glen Morrison lost his battle with cancer and died Sunday in hospice.

Glen started with CJIB radio in Vernon in 1977 and spent 34 years as the morning newsman and News Director.

His broadcasting career spanned over 40 years before he retired in March of 2015.

Morrison spent nearly 30 years working with Morning Man Frank Martina.

"He was absolutely a gem to work with. He was just a lot of fun., and he was very serious, and very serious about his drag racing. We had to work that into the program in many cases," says Martina.

Former Program Director Don Weglo said Glen was the ultimate pro.

"When you wake up that many mornings in a row, and you turn on the radio and listen to the 7 or 8 o'clock news, and you would hear an authoritative news voice like Glen Morrison, being so consistent, being there all the time, easy to listen to. You knew he had the story. He was very comfortable in doing that," says Weglo.

Morrison's first radio job was the overnight DJ at CHNL Kamloops in 1972, joining Vernon's CJIB in 1977.

Morrison, in his time off, was a fixture at Thunder Mt. Raceway. As fellow racer Tim Deplonty notes....Glen's second love was drag racing and he stood out.

"He was about as laid back as you can get. At the track over the PA system, they always called him "Gentleman Glen." You can't get much better than that. He was a very nice guy," says Deplonty.

The 67 year old Morrison leaves behind his wife Marion and four sons.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Glen Morrison passes away

Postby the-real-deal » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:35 pm

I had the rare opportunity to work with the legendary Glen Morrison, back in the early 2000's, in the news department of then radio station CJIB.

Glen was a disabled man with only one arm, yet, in spite of that, functioned spendidly well in the newsroom and wrote breaking news stories as good as anyone I have ever seen, write the news.

Glen was the smooth, authoritative news voice of 94 CJIB that people had heard for nearly 25 years, then left CJIB in a wage dispute (according to long time KISS FM News Director Pete McIntyre) and abruptly announced his retirement from 'IB, only to get hired at CKOV-Power 104 Kelowna, a few months later !

During one of Glen's early morning treks from Vernon to CKOV Kelowna, I met him, unexpectedly, at the 7-11 Store in Winfield, where he often stopped to buy cigarettes. It was the last time that we would ever cross paths.

Yes, aside from auto racing, Glen was also a passionate cigarette smoker and that nasty habit likely contributed to his demise.

But, hey, a man's gotta do what he likes/wants to do...... and not necesarily what "others" want you to do ?

Therefore, I took that lesson from Glen and applied it to my own career, splendidly.

Thanks, Glen, for providing this Okanagan community with very professional, well made, news and sportscasts, and your overall longevity in a somewhat cruel and nasty business.

R.J. Smith
West Kelowna, B.C.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Re: Glen Morrison passes away

Postby cart_machine » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:52 pm

Russ, thanks for passing along this very sad news.

Glen was liked by all and had a droll sense of humour. I knew him at CHWK and then CFVR 40-some-odd years ago.

I also know the answer to the trivia question "Who did Glen Morrison replace at CJIB in March 1977."

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia