Arnie Celsie passes

Radio News from British Columbia

Arnie Celsie passes

Postby radiofan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:24 pm

From Gord Lansdell at Northwest Broadcasters

Former Vancouver broadcaster Arnie Celsie died this morning at age 66. He was the morning host/PD at Vancouver market CISL AM 650 during the 1980s before moving to Bohn & Associates (now SparkNet) in 1990 as a consultant then V.P. Consulting. SparkNet was the creator of the Jack FM brand.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Arnie Celsie passes

Postby RadioGuy89b » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm so shocked and sorry to hear about the passing of Arnie. I remember him from when my father worked at CISL back in the mid 80's. Arnie later gave me a tremendous reference letter for BCIT Broadcasting, based on his apprecication for my volunteering and interest in broadcasting he knew I had had for years. I later decided to not pursue that particular BCIT program for personal reasons. As irony had it, I ended up working with Arnie's son a few years ago - briefly, and he still remembered my father Walter Jones. My sincere condolences to Arnie's wife, and children, friends, and family. I will always remember him, and I'm sorry he is gone. Mark Jones, Coquitlam, BC
RadioGuy89b
Advanced Member

Postby RadioGuy89b » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 pm

RadioGuy89b wrote:I'm so shocked and sorry to hear about the passing of Arnie. I remember him from when my father worked at CISL back in the mid 80's. Arnie later gave me a tremendous reference letter for BCIT Broadcasting, based on his apprecication for my volunteering and interest in broadcasting he knew I had had for years. I later decided to not pursue that particular BCIT program for personal reasons. As irony had it, I ended up working with Arnie's son a few years ago - briefly, and he still remembered my father Walter Jones. My sincere condolences to Arnie's wife, and children, friends, and family. I will always remember him, and I'm sorry he is gone. Mark Jones, Coquitlam, BC

EDIT!!!!! It doesn't seem to let me edit the orig post...I mentioned "he still remembered my father Walter..."...I obviously meant Arnie remembering my Dad, not his son remembering.
RadioGuy89b
Advanced Member

Postby Tenax » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:34 am

Arnie was tough in the boardoom for a monitor. One you got over the fear of his blunt style, you realized the man cared immensely how the stations he served thrived. He was not my favorite consultant I must admit, due to his style, but I would quickly rise to his defense if ever faced with the age old "consultant blows into town what do they know" line. Arnie knew and breathed radio. He was always eager to learn and happy to help you get better if you met him halfway. I respected his knowledge always and my fondest memories will be of the post monitor dinners and hearing the passion for his family and travel. I remember him once talking about taking his family for a vacation somewhere hot and exotic for vacation. You could see and hear the joy at being able to get away from everything with his loved ones.
Tenax

Postby jon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:39 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:

Arnie Celsie, 66, Jan. 28 after a short battle with cancer. Celsie started in radio in the late 1960s and was the original morning host and program director at CISL-AM 650 Vancouver in the 1980s before becoming a senior consultant at Bohn & Associates and SparkNet Communications. He also consulted with Rawlco Radio and its Saskatchewan stations. In addition to being one of the co-developers of the JACK and Playing What We Want brand, Arnie was part of the team that created and launched the NOW Radio brand in Edmonton encompassing, today’s digital technology – texting, Twitter and Facebook – and redefining the role of the DJ, to one of the biggest debuts of any format in the recent past. Arnie was known for his honest and often terse, but wise style of guidance and knowledge in programming, talent coaching and radio marketing.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby RadioGuy89b » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:12 pm

It's nice seeing some memories of Arnie. I assume a few things visavis there haven't been a lot of posts on this topic: a) there are listeners of Arnie from years ago that remember him and DON'T know about this forum and b) he's been off air for so-long that many may not know his history.

I guess I was so close for a time (on the inside) as it was, via my father -Walter Jones -ex Sales CISL in 1984/85 (CISL was at 940 briefly during his time there, then switched to 650 - he joined CISL in June 1984). I remember dad enjoying have Arnie voice commercials for clients he landed in the "new " Market of North Delta. Particularly Sunshine Hills Centre (at the top of the hill 64th and Scott Road as the copy read) and Kennedy Heights Shopping Centre (88th and Scott Road North Delta).

Arnie had a lot of enthusiasm on air. My memories are flooding back. "Wake up with Celsie" I believe was the name of the morning show when he did it in the mid 80s. Walt Judas did sports with him. I got to know both Walt and Arnie from my attending various Station events based on my interest in the industry.

I saw "the business" of radio and it created a dilemma as to whether to pursue the business with both feet in it or not. I still question - even with the state of the industry today - whether I could have done relatively well, had I jumped in with both feet - but that's another story.

The Arnie I got to know a bit - and I hadn't talked with him in over 20 years to be honest - left a vivid impression on me, about how we was passionate for the industry - no doubt about it. I remember him leaving CISL in 1990 and getting the chance to join Bohn and Associates.

The recollections by others here are nice to hear. He also was a key part of the winning bid to get a FM licence that turned into Z95 in May 91 - the leg work was done years earlier. I as mentioned, got to know his 2nd child a little bit when I worked with his son - outside the radio industry -and I was glad to hear Arnie was doing well from all I could determine (about 6 years ago).I felt so much time had passed, that it was hard to reconnect with Arnie as it had been so long since we talked (and apparently his memory of me was minimal - ha ha).

I'm sorry to hear he battled cancer, a battle I know well from a close friend last year and my dad 5 years ago - both whom also passed from it.

Again, my sincere condolences to his family. If they read this, I hope they know I have good memories of Arnie. He was very strong in his opinions, but I believe they were
always from a firm belief in what he spoke.

I just wish more people who "woke up with Arnie" in the 80's, would somehow comment their good memories. As I end this, I remember from a Province Newspaper contest on naming the Best Radio host for the morning drive from years ago, the profile of Arnie talked about how he cooked breakfast for many in Richmond (Contest) and owned something called "Tacky Tours" in Ontario I believe as part of his history. I've lost alot of my archives I had of Arnie (Audio and otherwise) through moves etc, but if you want to hear Arnie's voice, look at a youtube that is out there as of earlier this week, if you search Arnie Celsie (and his wife Diane).

Mark Jones
RadioGuy89b
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:44 pm

I was upset to see this post.

Arnie was very kind to me as I was close to becoming the CISL-650 Morning Man, back in the day (1990)....until Don Percy found out....and then the lawyers, etc. That dream died.

I never lost my affection for Arnie. We were not big buddies, but he was always very cordial, and we would "remember when".

I am tired of saying goodbye to so many nice people.

My best to The Celsie Family.

RIP, Arnie.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby RadioGuy89b » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Interesting article on Arnie...good read http://broadcastdialogue.ca/tribute-to-arnie/
RadioGuy89b
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia