Storm Coverage - CKNW vs CKWX

Radio News from British Columbia

Storm Coverage - CKNW vs CKWX

Postby Jim Walters » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 pm

Once again, CKWX News 1130 has shown that it knows what radio is all about with their storm coverage the past few days.

Not just real live actual traffic reports, but much added information about what's going in the Lower Mainland.

On Monday night, anchor Ben Wilson opened up the phone lines and had callers on the air reporting snow conditions all over the area. Live, local and topical.

On the other hand, NW was a joke. The 30 second traffic reports at the end of each newscast were the usual evening offering of pre-recorded info about road construction areas in the city.
No mention of current road conditions, closures or accidents etc. If you're supposedly offering traffic reports, give us something more than press releases from city engineering departments.

On Sunday morning I tuned into NW for the 6AM news. I had to wait until 6:04 for the news to begin because the Purity Products infomercial wasn't timed out properly. When the news finally began,
it was a few of the same stories word for word that I heard Saturday night at 10PM. Can you honestly tell me that nothing newsworthy happened overnight? To top it off, the newscast was reduced to
under 90 seconds.

Kudos and Happy Birthday to News 1130. Game misconduct to CKNW for impersonating a radio station that pretends to be dispensing information.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Re: Storm Coverage - CKNW vs CKWX

Postby slowhand » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:08 am

Not that this wasn't a well-thought-out piece.

I have to wonder where the Mighty 7-30 was in this spectrum of storm coverage.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia