Morey Nissan Commercial Dedicated to Neil

Radio News from British Columbia

Morey Nissan Commercial Dedicated to Neil

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Nice gesture that was unfortunately commercialized by accident yesterday.
About 425 yesterday afternoon Morey Nissan gave up one of its paid 'sell sell sell' car commercials to
announce that Neil Mcrae had passed away, to thank him for his long partnership, and to offer sincere condolences to Neil's family.

This really stopped the normal flow of commercials.
It was tastefully done, voiced by a female ....straight voice.

HOWEVER -
I remember that one of the golden rules of planning a stop set was always to check to see who VOICED the ads and make sure to not play 2 ads back to back by the same voice.
Admittedly this was pretty difficult to control if the spot was provided by an outside agency.

This is what unfortunately happened yesterday and, by fluke, kind of took away a lot of the sincerity that Morey had tried to achieve.

Morey ad...most likely a one-time-only spot...ends....
Next commercial -
without missing a breath -
the SAME female announcer...with the SAME straight voice delivery...back-to-back launches into a brand new 30" commercial for Home Hardware.

One at first COULD NOT tell where her sympathies ended and back to regular selling started.

Unfortunate for Morey's best intentions but a complete accident to the ears.

Rest in peace Mr. Mcrae.
I never met you but I WAS a listener.

...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Morey Nissan Commercial Dedicated to Neil

Postby kal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:26 pm

I believe the ad was voiced by Elaine Scollan, who disappeared from the helicopter traffic segments a couple of months back.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 am

In the old days, of carted commercials, back to back with the same voice never happened. Most stations either put the announcer's name on the cart label but we used coloured stick on dots, you didn't have to read the label during hectic times, just look at the dots and don't play one of the same colour back to back.
Nowaways, under the spell of cheapdom, many stations have the same person reading all of the spots.
Another thing that makes today's radio boring.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:35 am

Always trying my best to work within prescribed parameters, I took pride in rebuilding stop sets with the same ear and eye to flow that I would the music blocks.
Open with a :30, avoiding a cold voice first in the stop set. Bury the :60 second in the set. End the set with the shortest element hopefully something upbeat to roll into a jingle or the next song, all the while of course, taking into consideration the rules of never the two same voices or two cold voices back to back and putting some space between competing clients.
Of course, even when taking the greatest care, there would now and then be something that didn't quite work out, usually unexpected and sometimes hilarious.
I once ran an appliance dealer commercial back to back with a newsmagazine promo; the first ending with the words: "..visit your local G.E. dealer..and the next beginning with the words: "..in Havana".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm sure John Shorthouse would have voiced the spot, but he has been out of town dealing with a family matter.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia