1410 BNN Bloomberg Radio - coming April 30th

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: 1410 flipping from Sports?

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:18 pm

If Picture means oft-repeating time alerts, he might be on to something.

Back in the mid ‘60s Vancouver there was a phone number you could call. A woman’s voice would say “Bulova watch time is (time at that moment).”

To go on a tangent, there were also “hotlines” where so many kids called in at once that they could actually talk to one another over the white noise/low static. A low-tech (and admittedly low-brow) way to avoid after-school boredom on the Lower Mainland. Maybe 1410 could rig something like that up—and broadcast it—so citizens can communicate with one another in a novel way in between time checks.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Richard Skelly wrote:To go on a tangent, there were also “hotlines” where so many kids called in at once that they could actually talk to one another over the white noise/low static. A low-tech (and admittedly low-brow) way to avoid after-school boredom on the Lower Mainland. Maybe 1410 could rig something like that up—and broadcast it—so citizens can communicate with one another in a novel way in between time checks.

Coincidentally, the only other one I ever heard about was the CFUN Request Line. It was Busy so often that kids discovered that they could talk to each other if they yelled over the Busy signal.

On the subject at hand, although Funny 14-10 seems like the obvious move given Bell's history, I think they may have learned from that history. After all, they did shut down the original Funny 14-10, in London, Ontario.

While I agree that Comedy done this way is extraordinarily cheap to run, I cannot much money to be made if the Ratings aren't there, as has been the case with the Funny stations to date. Which leads me back to my suggestion that brokered programming, be it infomercials, ethnic or religious, or any combination of the three, still brings in significant money even if the Ratings hover around zero. And the costs are low, even on the Sales side of the house. Sell a brokered program once and it usually runs for at least a year.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:04 pm

This also happened in Calgary at CKXL -

Postby Buddy B » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:37 pm
Actually, it was the Buddy Line and the phone number was 264-5577.... and yes, it was official. It was actually for requests and dedications but the sheer number of callers frequently overwhelmed AGT's equipment and turned it into a giant party line!
Man...radio was sure fun way back then!

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1775
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 am

I was just on the CTV site and they announced yesterday that Vancouver's TSN radio 1410 (CFUN) and 103.5 FM will become BNN Bloomberg Radio on April 30th. These will be Canada's first all business radio stations. BNN Television will be rebranded to the BNN Bloomberg name as well.

The station will be a mix of the linear audio simulcast from television, Bloomberg in depth live specialty reports from Bloomberg's radio service which has over 1,200 journalists in 120 countries. The radio service will be available across Canada on the iHeartRadio Canada App.

Channel Zero (CHCH Hamilton) launched Bloomberg TV Canada back in November 2015 as a localized version of the main Bloomberg channel in the US. The station broadcasted 24/7 but folded in early October last year. CHCH usually ran 3 or 4 hours of Bloomberg Canada daily Monday to Friday.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 am

TSN 1040 will have an expanded live schedule picking up some of the programming that TSN 1410 was broadcasting.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:23 am

CTV stations in Calgary and Edmonton will simulcast BNN Bloomberg TV mornings from 5-5:30 MT Monday to Friday and BNN Bloomberg TV will be on free preview from April 30 to June 28th.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:05 am

Getting a little dizzy with all this Bloomberg rebranding.

So BNN (which Shaw delivers on 68) will become BNN Bloomberg? Will Bloomberg US continue to be carried on 141? For awhile Bloomberg had an hour of daily Canadian programming with Amanda Lang after she left/was nudged out by CBC. Then Amanda moved back to BNN where she had restarted her Canadian career after CNN.

Presumably Amanda will be behind the mic for at least some of the BNN Bloomberg radio content on 1040...when it isn’t running some of the sports content from soon-to-reformat 1410.

If there’s any more twists and turns, we’ll need a flow chart to understand it all.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:17 am

Yes BNN Bloomberg TV as of April 30th. Sounds like they still will be doing a lot of their own programming but tapping in with Bloomberg's services in the US and other countries. It will be interesting to see how the radio version will be received in Vancouver.
paterson
Advanced Member

1410 BNN Bloomberg Radio - coming April 30th

Postby jon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:37 am

paterson wrote:I was just on the CTV site and they announced yesterday that Vancouver's TSN radio 1410 (CFUN) and 103.5 FM will become BNN Bloomberg Radio on April 30th.

Just to clarify: CHQM-FM is not changing format. The Press Release is referring to the HD2 channel on 103.5 -- a simulcast of 1410.

Here is the relevant portion of the Press Release:
BNN Bloomberg’s new slate of content offerings are augmented by the launch of a new radio channel, BNN Bloomberg Radio, which will be available for live streaming across the country via the iHeartRadio Canada app, and locally in Metro Vancouver on HD Radio at 103.5 HD2 and 1410 AM.

Featuring a simulcast of BNN Bloomberg’s linear television broadcast, BNN Bloomberg Radio keeps listeners across the country up-to-date on breaking business news as it happens, wherever they are.

In addition, Bell Media Radio will integrate a broad array of short- and long-form radio reports from BNN Bloomberg into its news/talk stations across Canada, highlighted by The Takeaway with Amanda Lang, a daily radio update from the BNN Bloomberg host featuring updates on the most significant business news of the day.

ref. - http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/local- ... -april-30/
jon
Advanced Member

Re: 1410 BNN Bloomberg Radio - coming April 30th

Postby Just sayin' » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 am

Great move by Bell. They waited until they could strike a content deal with Bloomberg, combine with BNN, and you've got a shot at some big, national advertisers.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:34 am

Guess the last laugh is on me with my comedy prediction. The bottom line will still be the same though.........zero employees operating out of half a phone booth.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:01 am

Awesome! More TV on radio! :violent1:
Does this mean News1130 loses its connection to Bloomberg, which it has had I believe, since day one?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:11 am

Let's hope the Bloomberg snippets remain on the News1130 business reports. They, Bloomberg, have top-notch reporters who can pack a lot into 30 seconds!
kal
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:03 pm

This is actually not bad. We might be coming up on turbulent times in the markets. The big fund companies and banks have budget, and brokers will have a place for infomercials (I’m sure those will occupy the weekend time slots)

It’s still an over-flow station for conflicting sporting events, but without Canucks, those occur less.

I’d be nervous if I was a fringe person on TSN 1040 right now. Bell won’t want to lose Rome and Patrick, so they’ll likely record those shows and run them outside of the local lineup. The sports property is bleeding right now. I’d expect HR is readying for more layoffs.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:41 pm

And with the change to a simulcast of BNN Bloomberg, it's off to the bottom of the Vancouver radio ratings for the current TSN 1410... :neutral:
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia