Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes at News 1130

Radio News from British Columbia

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes at News 1130

Postby flyonthewall » Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 am

Whispers from Ash Street indicate the Morning show is no more. No mention of what the future plans are but apparently Reaon Ford and Ann Schmaltz were let go yesterday.
As well, Rick Dhaliwal is on 650's morning show filling Steve Darling's shoes.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes at News 1130

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu May 17, 2018 7:27 am

Don't know about the other changes but Reaon's Facebook page confirms it. Crappy.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am

It looks like the recently arrived News Director is already in the process of destroying a successful operation.

Is this the start of taking News 1130 in the same direction as the once mighty NW?

As a long time News 1130 listener, I hope I don't wake up to the sounds of Gord McDonald or Terry Schintz anyday soon.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am

Reaon Ford is major loss. Terrific radio voice and, to my way of thinking, a perfect fit at that station.

Further indication that radio is a cruel business. I can't comment on the sports side and the layoff of Ann Schmaltz. I tune out during the sports segments.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am

Sorry to see Reaon's name disappear from the station website. His co anchor is still on it as of right now. Enjoy sleeping in for a while and welcome to the large group of us that have been let go from radio.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

Jim Bennie should have been made the major morning show host years ago.
He's the most experienced news voice on staff and has an outstanding pleasant natural delivery and a great sense of humour.
He never makes mistakes in pronunciation or grammar and is very knowledgeable and can say more in a few words than most of the others who simply read what's put in front of them.
Jim is one of the greats with years of experience who could hold down the top radio news spot in any station in which he wanted to work.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

I have to agree with everything Mike says about Jim Bennie... I've been a fan for years... Hope I've told him a few times over those years.

:worthybow: JB

Mike Cleaver wrote:Jim Bennie should have been made the major morning show host years ago.
He's the most experienced news voice on staff and has an outstanding pleasant natural delivery and a great sense of humour.
He never makes mistakes in pronunciation or grammar and is very knowledgeable and can say more in a few words than most of the others who simply read what's put in front of them.
Jim is one of the greats with years of experience who could hold down the top radio news spot in any station in which he wanted to work.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Thu May 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Jim Walters wrote:It looks like the recently arrived News Director is already in the process of destroying a successful operation.

We're blaming Charmaine for the loss of a long time sports personality? Okay...
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 pm

CubbyCam wrote:I have to agree with everything Mike says about Jim Bennie... I've been a fan for years... Hope I've told him a few times over those years.

:worthybow: JB

Mike Cleaver wrote:Jim Bennie should have been made the major morning show host years ago.

Jim has been offered the morning show position at least once, but turned it down because he doesn't like getting up early in the morning. He has a life in the evenings.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Jim has been offered the morning show position at least once, but turned it down because he doesn't like getting up early in the morning. He has a life in the evenings.

I know exactly where he's coming from... The first two times I was given the morning news run at WX, I begged off after six months each time, much preferring the 11am to 6pm run... (Stay up late, and sleep in... perfect) But I eventually came to love it, and find that I still do, even all these years after "retirement"... Perhaps a little more financial incentive could convince Mr. Bennie to assume his rightful position atop the pile of local morning news people. Just sayin... ;-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu May 17, 2018 5:17 pm

He'll never take it. It would interfere with his Lodge meetings...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia