BC's News Leader needs a road map

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:29 am

If someone who works downtown can stop by the BCAA office on Broadway, would you please pick up a Greater Vancouver road map and drop it off at the CKNW Newsroom?

I had the misfortune of catching the 6:00 and 6:30 newscasts this morning. There was a story about an incident involving a van driving into the side of a fire hall in Burnaby at the corner of Brighton and Grovener.

I am fairly familiar with the area and I could swear the street is called Government not Grovener. I'm sure any road map of the Greater Vancouver area would prove me right.

Also, the fire hall in question is across the parking lot from Costco, not across the street.

I've come to expect errors like this to occur in the evening or on the weekend, not during prime time with two veteran newsies at the helm.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:45 pm

radiofan wrote:If someone who works downtown can stop by the BCAA office on Broadway, would you please pick up a Greater Vancouver road map and drop it off at the CKNW Newsroom?

I had the misfortune of catching the 6:00 and 6:30 newscasts this morning. There was a story about an incident involving a van driving into the side of a fire hall in Burnaby at the corner of Brighton and Grovener.

I am fairly familiar with the area and I could swear the street is called Government not Grovener. I'm sure any road map of the Greater Vancouver area would prove me right.

Why do they need a road map when Alex Lyons can just fly over it and look at the road signs? ;)

radiofan wrote: I've come to expect errors like this to occur in the evening or on the weekend, not during prime time with two veteran newsies at the helm.

You mean Ian?? ;)

Correct if I'm wrong RF, but doesn't the overnight person write those local shorts for the a.m. pilot/co-pilot to read?

cArtie.

P.S.: It's "Grosvenor." It has something to do with a hotel where Sykes worked :)
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:40 am

I used mapquest and asked about brighton and grosvenor

it showed an area near dundas and grosvenor in north burnaby

the other option is government and brighton south of the lougheed
east of lake city which is close to BCTV
butch
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:23 am

I use Mapquest but I don't always trust it. It's best at calculating distance and driving times but doesn't always pick the most efficient, shortest routes. I've also had times where it's sent me off onto the wrong exit into a city.
Where I drive (Seattle, King and Kitsap counties) there are the options of ferry routes or land routes and Mapquest isn't capable of making these kind of logical choices. It can't decide that it might be better to take the ferry rather than brave rush hour traffic on the I-5 and Tacoma Narrows at 4PM or, conversely if road traffic is light, Mapquest can't choose to save the 15 bucks ferry toll and send me off on the land route.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:27 am

The fire hall in the story is on Brighton between Winston and Government.

The accident happened early in the evening, so I hope it was written and on the air long before the overnighter was in the building.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:33 pm

radiofan wrote: The accident happened early in the evening, so I hope it was written and on the air long before the overnighter was in the building.

Likely it was, RF, but what I was referring to was the overnighter doing small writes of night material for a.m use. I was speculating it was written for Tom, or whoever was doing the morning run with him and was missed in the proof-reading.

To be honest, my knowledge of Burnaby intersections isn't that great either. I've dealt with stories where tipsters call and bugger up the cross-streets, which means someone has to catch it.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia