Veteran Broadcaster Terry Moore Passes at 82

Radio News from British Columbia

Veteran Broadcaster Terry Moore Passes at 82

Postby radiofan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:09 pm

After a short battle with cancer, veteran broadcaster Terry Moore passed away at age 82 this afternoon in Victoria, BC.

From Ted Smith: I regret to advise you that our Pal Terry passed this afternoon at 2:30.... the time of his choosing... surrounded by his loving family. In typical Terry style and in a weak voice he led everyone in singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow"...

Terry’s long career in Broadcasting spans 7 decades beginning at CKUA in Edmonton in 1956. Now at the young age of 82 he was still heard regularly on CFAX 1070 in Victoria until recently.

Here’s a brief look at his outstanding career path……

The 50’s….
1956 News at CKUA Edmonton.
1958 CKFH Toronto.
1959 CFRB Toronto.

The 60’s…
1960 CKLC Kingston.
1961 CJCA and CFRN TV Edmonton.
1961 CKSO TV Sudbury News Anchor.
1962 CFCN Calgary Morning Show.
1966 WSTC Stanford Conneticut.
1967 WTFM New York Mornings and assistant PD.

The 70’s…
1970 CKWX Vancouver.
1974 CJOR Vancouver.

The 80’s…
1980 CKNW Vancouver.

The 90’s…
1992 QR77 Calgary Morning Show and TV News Anchor.
1999 Back to CKNW Vancouver and the WIC Radio Network.

2000 till present day…
2008 CFAX in Victoria.

Throughout his long career Terry has been a Successful Talk Show Host…a Disk Jockey…a Music Director…an Assistant Program Director…a News Anchor in both TV and Radio…He has hosted morning shows…afternoon drive.

While in New York he studied acting, stage and Opera. He also played key roles in several TV series and movies including “My American Cousin” and “My American Boyfriend”.

Oh…did I mention he also found time to write a Canadian Best Seller…”Toothpaste and Peanut Butter.”

Terry is truly Mr. Versatility!!! His “God Given Timeless Voice” and “Bigger Than Life” personality make everything he does seem easy. He sounds like and has the energy of someone half his age.

Ted Smith
Former President & CEO
WIC Radio Group
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Veteran Broadcaster Terry Moore Passes at 82

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Worked with, and opposite Terry several times over the years... attended many parties where Terry would spontaneously break into operatic song at the drop of a hat... Love the way he chose to go... "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow"... indeed. RIP Mr. Moore.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Joe Leary » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:42 pm

I always enjoyed interacting with Terry Moore. Some years back - between gigs - I was booking Terry's show when he was broadcasting from a downtown hotel. Terry was always in control and while he could be a bit on the demanding side; was always the first to congratulate you when you scored him a great guest - and we did many. I'll never forget his open phones and household hints. No one was better as 'winging it' on talk radio than Terry Moore. RIP friend!
Joe Leary

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm

A huge part of the Vancouver Market for many years.

Multi talented.

RIP, Mr. Moore.

Losing too many people.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:10 pm

I echo the sentiments above and would like to add that Terry may be gone but will live on in the hearts and minds of those left behind.
Rest peacefully, Terry.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:36 am

A gentleman and, always, an erudite talk host.

I remember when Terry was cut loose from the Vancouver market. A caller asked Rafe Mair "what will happen?" to Terry. Rafe, as I recall, said words to the effect that "Like a lot of us, Terry is much closer to the end of his career than the beginning."

Within a few years, Rafe was (unfairly) gone from the airwaves. But Terry had tweaked an old adage into "go west not-so-young man." And had many years in Victoria on C-FAX, even popping up as a substitute after his full time days were done.

Godspeed, Terry Moore.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia