Good radio "remote" stories

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby tuned » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:49 am

Another thread got me thinking about the days when stations did tons of remotes and all those shady clients. Anybody got any good "on location" stories?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby joonyer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:00 am

Why is it that 70 year-old ladies always come up to me on location... look me up and down 5 times, then directly into my eyes say; "Are you him"?
..."Yes...I am 'him'. I'm sorry I'm not 4 foot 7, bald and sporting a large mustache". They always seem so dissapointed. "But I do have a wonderful JACK sticker for your ride".
..."My what"?
"Your ride"...."Just slap it on yer bumper".
"I beg your pardon"? "Slap it on my what"?
......."never mind ma'am". Have a great day, and thanks for listening to JACK"
joonyer

Postby Kim Seale » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Complaints about your remote were not from giving away Jack stickers. It was for the attempt at removing the old ones from the back end of the 70 year old.

Hee Hee Hee!

...Hag in the sky....
Kim Seale
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:52 am

tuned wrote: Another thread got me thinking about the days when stations did tons of remotes and all those shady clients. Anybody got any good "on location" stories?

CHWK paid $2 a cut-in and I got stuck every holiday Monday doing them from Zellers in Cottonwood Corner (after working a five-day week). There was never any stuff from sales about what it was that the client wanted on the air; they foolishly left it up to me. The final cut-in I did was a minute of war games from the toy section with overnight guy Doug Kreut. I never worked a holiday Monday ever again.

Someone said the air check was pretty funny but I never heard it.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:56 am

joonyer wrote: Why is it that 70 year-old ladies always come up to me on location... look me up and down 5 times, then directly into my eyes say; "Are you him"?

If they're 70, just tell them "yes, and Mrs. Till is glad you listen to the show, too" ;)

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:38 am

Mine was a cut in with Mazuren - same station - out in Sardis at a building supplies store.

I interviewed a door - with no responses of course - I thought it was funny.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:38 am

There was one time, a supermarket remote I hosted, where we were heavily sponsored by and promoting BC lamb; had the barbeque going with hot samples.
I put a pre-teen girl on with me to try some product and tell what she thought. Live on air she remarked: "It's good but it's sad that the little lamb had to die".
I don't remember what happened next or how I responded but I'm sure it was short with a quick "back to you at the studio Chuck".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:07 am

From the oops .. did I really say that department.

Jim Jefferies on QR-77 in Calgary doing a remote from UNCLE NICKY'S CARPET WAREHOUSE reversed their tag line and ended a cut in with "Uncle Nicky's the home of LOW QUALITY and HIGH PRICES."
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:58 pm

radiofan wrote: From the oops .. did I really say that department.

Jim Jefferies on QR-77 in Calgary doing a remote from UNCLE NICKY'S CARPET WAREHOUSE reversed their tag line and ended a cut in with "Uncle Nicky's the home of LOW QUALITY and HIGH PRICES."

Freudian slip on the part of Jefferies! :)

In 1971, I did a remote in Antigonish N.S. at a county fair, with two turntables, cart machines etc...turned on the mic after the news, and said `Good afternoon heffers and critters' as I went into a tune under me... I had real cows sitting next to me with bales of hay surrounding.

The station manager, a nice guy by the name of Bruce Rafuse, came over and said, remember you are working in a small town, and was rather terse about it.

He missed the humour because as I turned on the mic, there was a PA system running something loud, and one of the cows gave out a moo :)
PMC

Postby monakitty » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:51 pm

I was doing the morning show at K-97 in Edmonton. In 1987, that city suffered the wrath of not one, but several tornados. On tornado day, I was supposed to be on location at a car dealership. Our AM station had a guy go up in the cop's chopper to do traffic. The weather was so bad, the chopper couldn't fly. Said cop drove me in his car to the remote. On the way, we had to push a motorist out of what was called the "rat hole" at the time. Really a traffic tunnel.
It was just plain bad weather when I got the the remote, but the weather progressively got worse. I started the remote with "it's a hail of a sale...TOPAZ, TOPAZ, TOPAZ!" Shortly after we got word that tornados were touching down (only blocks from the said dealership, in fact) I was scared as hell. 22 people parished that day. The remore changed from "TOPAZ!" to "Come wait out the storm with us!" I was thinking the whole time (Under our glass encased showroom under our safe tin roof!) Etched in my memory forever!
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby Flash Frizbone » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:12 am

The many summers broadcasting at the FM-108 Caravan just inside the Princess Gates at Toronto's CNE..just down wind from the Horse Palace..and within earshot :angry: of that son of a _____ yelling 'Doggie Doggie"
Flash Frizbone
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:26 pm

THERE HAS GOT TO BE MORE OF THESE OUT THERE!

Doing a remote in Harrison Hot Springs for CHWK in the early 80's. Had to wear a suit on remote. It was a corn roast. Long story short...light brown suit, glistening in butter. Not sure if it's my 17 yr old corn eatin' table manners, or the fact I had to dolup the butter, unknown to me b4 my arrival....
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby JCritty » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:19 am

I came across no tornados, only embarrassment.

A year ago at the pride parade in Vancouver I was out giving away News1130 keychains alongside a news1130 cruiser. I decided to get a little 1130 spirit going among a group of people clamoring for a keychain. I figure they're fans.

"What's your favorite radio station?!!!"

The rowdy group fell into silence.

One confused woman took a wild guess. "uh... News1130?"

I walked away from that group horribly embarrassed, and down only one keychain.
JCritty
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:57 am

Jeremy Crittenden wrote:I decided to get a little 1130 spirit going among a group of people clamoring for a keychain.  I figure they're fans.

"What's your favorite radio station?!!!"

The rowdy group fell into silence.

One confused woman took a wild guess.  "uh... News1130?"

I walked away from that group horribly embarrassed, and down only one keychain.

Next time, offer them pin-ups of George Gordon and watch the fevered reaction!

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:01 am

I need a News 1130 keychain for my collection of promo stuff.

Any left? <_<
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia