Peak Morning Show

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Peak Morning Show

Postby Marathon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:49 pm

I think one aspect of it is that it seems that a lot of the music on CHR doesn't have the same level of energy at the moment. But that's just the nature of the format. Honestly, I haven't listened to the morning shows on either Virgin or KISS, so I can't make a comment on either of them. If we put Z in the same basket even though they are technically a Hot AC it seems that Kid Carson is the only morning show that has any real traction in the younger demos. I haven't seen the AM Drive numbers, so I really don't have anything to bae that on other than just my own perception.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:11 pm

@Marathon, I think you are spot on with respect to the overall energy of the music. Kid's show is actually pretty decent (him bringing in his 16-year-old stepdaughter Paris to review new songs every Tuesday is quite entertaining!). My only criticism is that the show seems to be a series of separate segments that aren't necessarily tied together. Kid isn't doing time checks, song extros or introducing the traffic reports. Call me old school, but the interplay between the various elements are hallmarks of a good morning show. I do understand that the show needs to be produced for podcast, but it does give it a different feel than Kid's other shows on The Beat and SoNiC/KiSS. I also realize that elements like time/weather aren't seen to be as relevant as they were in the past, as people can get this information from other sources such as apps. That being said, as a blind person getting ready for work, I appreciate being able to get all of this information from one source that I can consume with my ears while doing my morning routine.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:37 pm

I wonder how far we are away from Google Assistant, Alexa or Siri being able to insert news, weather, traffic and time checks in to your Spotify playlist at given intervals, I bet somebody is working on it right now. I suppose having them to do it over an intro and hit the post might be a bit more difficult.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:33 pm

Marathon wrote:I wonder how far we are away from Google Assistant, Alexa or Siri being able to insert news, weather, traffic and time checks in to your Spotify playlist at given intervals, I bet somebody is working on it right now. I suppose having them to do it over an intro and hit the post might be a bit more difficult.

A side note: I worked with a sportscaster who accidentally activated "narrate" on his machine and it started reading his script on the air.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Marathon wrote:I think one aspect of it is that it seems that a lot of the music on CHR doesn't have the same level of energy at the moment. But that's just the nature of the format. Honestly, I haven't listened to the morning shows on either Virgin or KISS, so I can't make a comment on either of them. If we put Z in the same basket even though they are technically a Hot AC it seems that Kid Carson is the only morning show that has any real traction in the younger demos. I haven't seen the AM Drive numbers, so I really don't have anything to bae that on other than just my own perception.

The #2 morning show in 18-34 is CKNW, if you're wondering how meaningful ratings are.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Further:

#1 Mornings M18-34..

Calgary - XL103
Toronto - CBC

The only market that makes sense in Edmonton where it's SONiC.

We simply can't measure younger audiences.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:40 pm

Aaron wrote:Further:

#1 Mornings M18-34..

Calgary - XL103
Toronto - CBC

The only market that makes sense in Edmonton where it's SONiC.

We simply can't measure younger audiences.

Which is inexcusable given today’s technology. Your phone could record turning so easily. Can you imagine the sample sizing? You’d have to opt in, and you should probably be compensated, but this would solve an age old problem of low sample sizes and young folks not interested in taking part in PPM measurement. Don’t most stations embed a code in their signal?
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:27 pm

The ratings are the ratings, all of the broadcasters agreed upon the system, so whether you agree or not with the methodology doesn't matter, that's the system that is used to measure audience at the moment. Should we return to using diaries, or perhaps a psychic, or maybe we can just guess how many people are listening to a station.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:31 pm

Marathon wrote:I wonder how far we are away from Google Assistant, Alexa or Siri being able to insert news, weather, traffic and time checks in to your Spotify playlist at given intervals, I bet somebody is working on it right now. I suppose having them to do it over an intro and hit the post might be a bit more difficult.

I'll take that one step further. Perhaps they could use AI to duplicate the voices of classic Top 40 jocks to drop in those weather and time checks while hitting the post at the same time? So you get your Spotify playlist interspursed with a Robert W. Morgan or Real Don Steele clone. Yes, I know, a stretch!! ;)
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia