Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 am

Erin Airton
24 hours columnist
used to a guest on rafe mair with david shreck

doing weekends on NW
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:16 am

She probably works really cheap. Her "writing" in 24hours is atrocious and shows a lack of intelligence. She used to make her living as a PR flunkie for local spinmeister James Hoggan but I think she's got her own PR firm now. Perhaps she is following down the road of Micheal Levy and splitting cash with Corus to discuss "issues" with clients on NW.
Anybody heard her show?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:43 am

This is great news.

Aside from having been a "guest" on someone else's talkshow, you no longer have to have any radio experience to get your own talkshow on CKNW.

If you can open your mouth and talk, you're completely - maybe overly - qualified.

Is there anyone over in The Black Tower who has a clue about anything anymore?

Hey Koenigsfest, I recall looking at a newspaper once back in 1965 - can I anchor the 8?

The iceberg beckons.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:32 am

I think Top Dog is accepting bribes from these chicks.

There should be an investigation

Any suggestions on who should run the inquisition?
butch
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:09 pm

I'm getting to the point of giving up on a lot of you. Sure I have been in sports much of my life, but I can say very clearly, I could outdo most of you on current affairs.....government etc.

What the hell is it that almost daily most of you are attacking CKNW left, right and centre. Who cares if they hire someone without any talent....or without knowing what is right or wrong. Don't we have intellegent listeners in B.C.? Can't they judge for themselves?

Whenever I have challenged the jukebox programming of most of the FM stations, some of you jump on me as not knowing what I'm talking about. Just how important is it for a jock to be hired? Ballsy voice.....know his own name every three minutes...know the station he's working for every three minutes....that's thrilling radio isn't it! Same music played every day, only at different times of the day, hoping you don't hear it too often. Can't even you realize that every jock on every rock radio station sounds alike?

Sure I am still a sports radio supporter.....but I get damned frustrated too, when I keep hearing this ignoramus "Team 1040" as if it's the end of the world. I, obviously know what radio station I am listening to because I dialed in to the station I wanted to.....I don't bloody well ned to be told every two or three minutes what station I am listening to.....are the stations that vain and afraid someone is tuning in and may not know what station it is? Sad situation really.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:21 pm

What is Sykes going on about ....on my thread?

This is about chicks John - turn on your phone and send me a great picture of
a chick you cluck
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:13 am

johnsykes wrote: What the hell is it that almost daily most of you are attacking CKNW left, right and centre. Who cares if they hire someone without any talent....or without knowing what is right or wrong. Don't we have intellegent listeners in B.C.? Can't they judge for themselves?

This is a message board, John. It's a place for people to express their opinions about the local radio industry. And that's just what people are doing.

Who cares if they hire someone without talent? I imagine readers to this board do. I don't know a lot of people here but it appears posters CARE about the industry and, speaking generally, they hate to see it cheapened by assinine management decisions to give jobs to unqualified people - and worse, take away jobs from qualified people, regardless of what station is involved. Radio listeners deserve better.

When I was a youngster, NW was the best of the best. Bob Hutton. Norm Grohman. Warren Barker. Al Davidson. Hal Davis. Jim Robson. Jack Webster. Jack Kyle. The list goes on. You know the names as well as I do - you know/knew some of these people personally. Compare that to what you hear on NW today. There's no comparison. On top of that, look at the way several sets of layoffs have been handled. I think that's what angers readers here and that's why there's been a great deal of criticism about the Corus management. Granted, radio people have been bitching about management for longer than anyone here has been in the business.

I can't comment specifically about the woman mentioned in this thread because I've never heard her.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:37 pm

Any of you catch Sarah Daniels gleefuly recounting how she fudged (read
lied) on her resume upon entering the business. She claimed she had attended
Queens University and now admits to doing no such thing. Maybe I'm too uptight,
or holier than thou, but something about that seems kinda classless? Is it done
more commonly than I realize? I wouldn't feel right or good about submitting
a resume with clearly false info, have never done so and never would. I do
remember a Mary Tyler Moore episode where she had trumped up her resume,
but that's fiction. To me it's simply lying. I guess not if you don't get caught.

Lighten up lee, right?
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:46 pm

I agree with Glaherty. It's one thing to "pad" a resume but it's another thing to out and out lie about attending a Unversity you never set foot in. What's even worse is that she doesn't think it's any big deal considering she bragged about it in public.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:57 pm

There has actually been quite a lot written about this subject (lying in your resume) in the last few years in HR (Human Resources = the Personnel Dept. in the old days). e-mail, Web research, and nearly free long distance has made it much, much more likely that you will be found out.

South of the Border, thanks to Enron, it can be grounds for instant dismissal if discovered "after the fact". Especially further up the food chain, in senior management. My guess is that if you tick someone off in an organization, they might spend the time checking you out, especially if they have access to your HR records.

Here in Canada, I suspect that organizations that routinely perform security clearances on employees, or just for certain jobs, will expand that to include resume checks, if they haven't already.

Of course, some organizations might consider it an asset, say, for their telemarketing staff....
jon
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:00 pm

I wanted to raise it in the thread on PSR but can't find which one it was.
Knowing her, and I really have never had any big problem with her, she
would immediately get ornery about it, like it's her right to have done so, and
no big deal. Unfortunately, and I probably am making a mountain out of a
molehill it COMPLETELY cheapens and demeans the work and effort, whatever
that may entail of those who actually DID attend and complete that program.
Did I stutter?
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:47 pm

Your comments reminded me of another point. I cannot speak for other fields, but the professional designation that I hold, would be pulled for life were I caught (i.e. - reported to the certifying body, and proven) lying in a resume. Most employers wouldn't care if I had it or not, but my current employer has, as a requirement, "possession or pursuit of ..." the certification in question. So, technically, they would have to fire me if I lost it.

By the way, automatic firings are not a laughing matter. I know someone who, three years ago, was fired for making an off-colour joke in the corporate cafeteria. At the next table was an HR employee, who reported it, and the rest was automatic, with no opportunity for appeal. An "I didn't know it was wrong" defense would fall on deaf ears as every employee had taken a half day course outlining the code of conduct required.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:24 pm

This Erin is kinda cute...
monakitty
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia