Phil Till...pompous ass...

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Thu May 11, 2006 8:09 am

Phillip Till decided to share his personal feelings about Laura DeWitt this morning on the air. DeWitt pronounces Vancouver Van KEW ver, which is irritating granted. But for Till to go on the air and point it out...AND THEN refer to seeing Amy Bell on Global and say something along the lines of "Ahh Amy Bell on traffic...those were good days, I miss those days..." is downright mean and stupid.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 am

RE: Your comment above GrumpyOldMan ; I couldn't agree more.

Till is completely tactless.

A professional broadcaster doesn't go on the air and berate his colleagues in public; but in Till's world, this kind of crap passes for humor.

Belittling a co-worker ( who, like all other Corus employees probably fears for her job ) is a terrible abuse of power on Till's part.

He should publicly apologize to her.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Thu May 11, 2006 4:03 pm

The Program Director should order Till to apologize and further tell him not to belittle a co-worker on the air again. One thing my first employer told me many, many years ago that every one should remember including morning radio 'stars'
- no one is irreplaceable.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu May 11, 2006 5:14 pm

I remember once talking to Jim Robson in the coffee room near the news room
in the Safeway store site (CKNW) in the Royal City.

He had pronounced Osoyoos in a rather strange way on a hockey broadcast and since I had lived and worked there I said:" Hey Jim could you please prononce Osoyoos this way - O-sue-yess."

He said thanks and next time I was listening he was bang on.

There is a time and a place to correct a fellow broadcaster.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Thu May 11, 2006 7:23 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote: Phillip Till decided to share his personal feelings about Laura DeWitt this morning on the air.

Do you remember what time you heard it? I want to listen back on their internet audio archive.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby jenniferthomson » Fri May 12, 2006 12:09 am

QUOTE (GrumpyOldMan @ May 11 2006, 07:09 AM)
Phillip Till decided to share his personal feelings about Laura DeWitt this morning on the air. 

Do you remember what time you heard it? I want to listen back on their internet audio archive.

Me too! :)
jenniferthomson

Postby cart_machine » Sat May 13, 2006 12:46 am

Top Dog wrote:I remember once talking to Jim Robson in the coffee room near the news room
in the Safeway store site  (CKNW) in the Royal City.

He had pronounced Osoyoos in a rather strange way on a hockey broadcast and since I had lived and worked there I said:" Hey Jim could you please prononce Osoyoos this way - O-sue-yess."

He said thanks and next time I was listening he was bang on.

There is a time and a place to correct a fellow broadcaster.

Top Dog, there's a difference here:

Jim Robson was never asked to, nor accepted, the task of being a square peg in a round hole.

Mr. Till's predecessor would take occasional jabs at his co-workers; never malicious from what I used to hear. Mr. Till, or someone in management, must therefore have decided jabs are what morning hosts should still do, so Mr. Till does it. Of course, Mr. Till's predecessor didn't sound like he had a trench coat permanently sewed onto his body.

It needn't be said, but I'll say it anyway - Jim Robson is one of the nicest guys in the business.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Sat May 13, 2006 2:27 pm

Actually, I heard that there was a pretty severe tiff between Frostie and Rafe after Rafe held forth one day with his opinions of the NW morning show. I have no idea what was said, but it was pretty hard hitting.

I wonder if the fact that Lara and Alex are no longer officially NW employees makes them possible targets?

Anyway, I can't talk, I've been called a "twit" (a "nice twit," mind you) by Phil and a "bozo" by Bruce Allen...but then again we swivel servants have to have pretty tough hides....
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 13, 2006 8:57 pm

CKNW has won a BC Association of Broadcasters Award for excellence in news reporting.

As Corus Vancouver General Manager J.J. Johnston explains NW?s coverage of Hurricane Katrina - that saw morning news host Phillip Till and Morning Show Producer Amy Lapsley dispatched to the U.S. Gulf Coast was singled out for the honour.
"Philip Till gave us some fantastic, informative, unique and poignant reports about the destruction down there and tonight CKNW was rewarded by the peers of the British Columbia Association of Broadcasters in terms of excellence for that reporting."

Till and Lapsley filed compelling coverage from destinations that included the Houston Astrodome, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Mississippi.

That award winning coverage was broadcast right across the national Corus radio network.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat May 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Top Dog wrote:As Corus Vancouver General Manager J.J. Johnston explains: "Philip Till gave us some fantastic, informative, unique and poignant reports about the destruction down there and tonight CKNW was rewarded by the peers of the British Columbia Association of Broadcasters in terms of excellence for that reporting."

Uh-huh.

Well if J.J. said it then it must be true.

So I guess that makes Till an award-winning pompous ass.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon May 15, 2006 10:01 pm

Till is brutal but then again so is NW's lineup these days. If there was an electronic way to measure radio audiences instead of the easily manipulated diary system they would be dead in the water. You have to check your brains at the door if you want to endure the likes of Till, Adler, Good and Clark. I honestly don't understand how anyone can listen to the dirge that spews out of the Tower these days. Turn it off. Enjoy the sounds of silence.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon May 15, 2006 11:28 pm

Top Dog wrote:Till and Lapsley filed compelling coverage from destinations that included the Houston Astrodome, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Mississippi.

So did every American network that was down there days earlier. What coverage did Mr. Till offer that the dozens of other outlets we can get here didn't?

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia