CKNW Offering $100 to listen

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby cart_machine » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Top Dog wrote: aCartie is a clone of Tottie????????????? - no don't think so. aCartie is actually a great radio historian who still reads newscasts when he is not on holidays. He is, it appears trying to compete with the great one TD lol. Sykes you have nothing to worry about he is a pussy cat.

I deny I'm a great radio historian because there are so many people on this board who were in the business before I was and know a lot more than I do. My first paid job was only 31 years ago, though I appeared weekly on radio for probably four years before that.

However, I do have an interest in the Vancouver market and have managed to work with a few of the people I looked up to who I admire and respect - people the kids in the industry have never heard of or don't care about.

I do like rummaging through the past. For example, I was quite surprised to see Monty turn up in at CKNW in the newspaper radio listings in September 1954, as he was listed at CJOR only a month or so earlier. I had no idea he worked at 'NW.

Anyway, this is off-thread. My gut feeling is RF is right and Bill Rea started 'Are You Listening.' Of course, Bill Rea never had to offer money to get people to listen. He did that with his programming.

Note to 'Heard it on the X' - I don't know if Connie went to the Columbia School of Overenunciation, but there once was a pile of their students who had that problem. During my sojourn there, I tried to knock it out of them, to little avail.

cArtie.

P.S.: I'll avoid a comment about Mr. Tottie other than I stopped subscribing to a board he was on.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia