CKNW Offering $100 to listen

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:20 am

The once mighty Dog has struck yet another low. They are now calling homes in the Greater Vancouver area offering you the chance to win $100 or maybe even a trip for simply tuning your radio to 980. I got my call last night as did a few others who have emailed.

If you tell them that you will listen, there is a chance they could read your name on the air. If you hear your name and call back you win.

It's a sad day when a station that once owned the city has to hire staff to go through the White Pages and call people at random to see if they can be bribed into switching thier radio dials to 980.

Frank would be impressed.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:59 pm

I got my invite last week in the form of an email.

But isn't it the same as what many stations do or used to do just prior to or during a ratings period?

At the same time, when I was in management, stations were warned not to offer wild promotions during a rating period.

I get many offers from JR-FM too, but that is an ongoing thing....not just during or prior to ratings.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:00 pm

radiofan wrote: The once mighty Dog has struck yet another low. They are now calling homes in the Greater Vancouver area offering you the chance to win $100 or maybe even a trip for simply tuning your radio to 980. I got my call last night as did a few others who have emailed.

If you tell them that you will listen, there is a chance they could read your name on the air. If you hear your name and call back you win.

It's a sad day when a station that once owned the city has to hire staff to go through the White Pages and call people at random to see if they can be bribed into switching thier radio dials to 980.

Frank would be impressed.

Well, RF, 'NW *did* have "Are You Listening?" 'WX had the "Cash Call." If you want to stretch it, they were paying people to listen.

I understand 'OR tried "Win John Sykes" but it didn't work ;)

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Quit pickin on Sykes - it's the best I can do John

I am in the Royal City Library and set to chase a bear at an A&W..
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:40 pm

By the looks of it...JR-FM won Sykes .. I thought his hometown Country 107 would have taken him in their draft pool ..
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:54 pm

It seems cArtie is a clone of Tottie....I'm honoured to keep getting mentioned....it's more than I could have expected after all these years.

On the other note....no, I'm not attached to JR-FM....wifey and I switch to either 107.1 or 93.7...no real favourite. I believe the only stations we don't listen to are CBC, 104.9,
The Fox or CFMI....may have missed one or two.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:38 pm

Top Dog wrote:Quit pickin on Sykes - it's the best I can do John

I can't pick on you because, well, I have to respect my elders .. and I can't pick on Pluto because some group that chooses the planets already has. So, that leaves John. Who do you want me to pick on - Ian Michaud?

Actually, I'd like Pluto's take on being offered cash to listen to a Connie-Thiessen-filling-in-for-Gord newscast.

Top Dog wrote:I am in the Royal City Library and set to chase a bear at an A&W..

Royal City. Hmm. Didn't they have a radio station at one time?

cArtie.

P.S.: I was in a library today and unexpectedly found something I'll post in a different thread.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:22 pm

radiofan wrote:
The once mighty Dog has struck yet another low. They are now calling homes in the Greater Vancouver area offering you the chance to win $100 or maybe even a trip for simply tuning your radio to 980. I got my call last night as did a few others who have emailed.

They haven't called me yet, but I live in hope that I'll be one of the chosen ones. But what the hell do I know, I'm still answering the phone with "I listen to JACK-FM." That should give you an idea of how far back into the Twilight Zone that I've fallen.

But back to the money.

I'll gladly pocket NW's C-note if it is offered, and then promptly donate the money to any group willing to invade and overthrow Adler Nation.

As for cArtie's line RE: Connie vs Gord: that's easy - I prefer Connie. She's a good news reader, and, unlike Gordo, doesn't try to pass herself off as a talkshow host.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:18 am

Pluto wrote: As for cArtie's line RE: Connie vs Gord: that's easy - I prefer Connie. She's a good news reader, and, unlike Gordo, doesn't try to pass herself off as a talkshow host.

The problem I have with Connie, as one colleague of mine pointed out, is her tendency to read her copy slowwwww and lowwwww. Even when she says her name at the top of the cast. "Eyyyeeeeemmm Connnnnnieeeeeee Teeeeeeeesuhhhhhhn."
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:02 am

You want to make sure your name is clear and loud on any aircheck you make that could end up as a demo tape for your next news director!

No one from the Dog has called me to try to bribe me to listen, but I did hear from a friend who got a call. She wants to win a free trip to Britain to visit relatives, so she's tuning in during the times when names are called. Then she tunes back to her regular station.

Back to the drawing board for the Corus brain trust. This gimmick isn't working.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:43 pm

aCartie is a clone of Tottie????????????? - no don't think so. aCartie is actually a great radio historian who still reads newscasts when he is not on holidays. He is, it appears trying to compete with the great one TD lol. Sykes you have nothing to worry about he is a pussy cat.

Tottie was arrested in Alberta by the religious police and won't be showing his face around here for a bit. He has been booked into the Weston Home for deliquent boys.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:54 pm

radiofan wrote: It's a sad day when a station that once owned the city has to hire staff to go through the White Pages and call people at random to see if they can be bribed into switching thier radio dials to 980.Frank would be impressed.

NW originated the "Are you Listening" contest. Which was copied and expanded by Dave Armstrong at CKDA with ... Advertiser of the Hour.

Are you listening?
News Maker of the Hour -- still used by CFAX
Advertiser of the Hour

Are all variations on the same theme
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:32 pm

I don't have a telephone but I could sure use a hundred bucks.
Any chance of an NW intern driving by my apartment and yelling the contest details through my window? I'll leave it open tonight just in case.

Also, I don't have an am radio but I've got an old waffle iron I picked up at a garage sale, can I still qualify? Thanks.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby islandkid » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:48 am

gwp wrote:
Frank originated the "Are you Listening" contest.

Kindly enlighten me. Who is FranK? It can't be Callaghan, he was with 'LG.
Do you mean Griffiths?

I coulda sworn Are You Listening was a Bill Rea idea.
islandkid

Postby radiofan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:01 am

I'd say it was either Bill Rae or Mel Cooper who started RUL.

Frank was the $$ guy, not the creative guy.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia