Where are the Fred, Larry & Willys of tomorrow?

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby tuned » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:10 pm

Bringing back Fred and Cathy just shows how bankrupt and desperate radio has become. Where are the Freds of tomorrow going to come from? Radio stations with live announcers in the building 24/7 were the training ground and they no longer exist. Fred got a chance to get on the air at a young age and learn from more experienced announcers but a kid today doesn't have the same opportunity. Radio has for the most part given up on listeners under 25 and by doing so driven the nails in their own coffin.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:18 am

Join us tomorrow for another exciting edition of Tuned's Tales of the Obvious, when our host shares such breakthoughs as; The Allies Win The War, Here's comes The Internet and John Sykes has an opinion.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:16 am

Hmm...the only thread you've ever started had the word "stunk" in the title. Nuff said.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:30 am

There's a quarter-page ad for Fred & Cathy in this morning's Province rag.

No matter what anyone thinks of them, at least one company in this market is making a move to try and shake things up.

If nothing else, the return of F&C will shake up the status quo, which is better than doing nothing.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:31 am

Without pointing my pogo fingers at anyway....radio is not dead - its profitable and many people are making a buck - small bucks in some cases.

Radio as we knew it in the sixties and seventies is dead.

The business of radio will continue for along time....I hate the word "forever"
or the phrase "never say never".

I doubt we will see talent come back...even tho yesterday's announcement brings back the senior citizens to the transmitter. It seems companys will pay for A.M. talent only.

How long will it last?...as long as the million contract is for. I say he signed a one year agreement. Cathy is there to keep the kitchen busy while Fred rubs the sand out of his eyes at 5:30a
butch
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:49 am

Ogopogo wrote: ....radio is not dead

it just smells bad.

<rimshot>

Thank you thank you

I'll be here all week - hope you enjoy the veal.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:58 am

tuned wrote: Hmm...the only thread you've ever started had the word "stunk" in the title.  Nuff said.

Well sure I'll admit that using "stunk" doesn't clear the bar you set with masterpieces like "Bet The Farm on a Harper Majority", or "Westwood One Downsizes", or the alltime classic "PSR is on life support"

But give a brother a chance to catch up.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:26 am

and then tuned said...
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:36 am

Instead of spending a million bucks? or whatever to get someone to do a morning show from another country Rogers should have hired 20+ announcers and made a bunch of their stations live 24/7. It would be a better investment longterm. Initially when I heard about Fred & Cathy I just assumed they were going to be here live doing the show but since I've found out otherwise I am not nearly as optomistic that it will do all that well. If Rogers paid big dough to have them call it in from Maui they are fools which I don't think they are. I bet they didn't pay nearly as much as people think. The other wild card is the music. QM seems to do a good job of judging the "taste" of their listeners. The other factor to consider is that Fred & Cathy weren't exactly number one in the market the last go around. As much as I like Fred I think he is a better businessman than a morning show host.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia