CKNW Brings Back Music in The Mornings !

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby TransistorSister » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:16 am

Recent changes in the marketplace have convinced CKNW Program Director Tom Placebo to add a music element to The Morning News With Philip Till.

"We've felt the impending impact of the sandy footprint from Tsawwassen and we're dealing with it," said Placebo this morning during a terse telephone conversation.

Legally the station is not licensed to play music, but the always industrious management team was able to find a workaround.

"Recorded music is so dull and predictable," noted the weary programming executive, "so we've opted to add a unique, fun element to the mix."

The new twist, or, more accurately, wrinkle?

"Hits of the twenties, thirties and forties, hummed by Public Affairs Director Ian Koenigsfest with Till occasionally joining in on harmony as time allows."

Music programming on 'NW begins Tuesday morning.

Colour us in!
TransistorSister
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:38 pm

TransistorSister wrote: Recent changes in the marketplace have convinced CKNW Program Director Tom Placebo to add a music element to The Morning News With Philip Till.

"We've felt the impending impact of the sandy footprint from Tsawwassen and we're dealing with it," said Placebo this morning during a terse telephone conversation.

Legally the station is not licensed to play music, but the always industrious management team was able to find a workaround.

"Recorded music is so dull and predictable," noted the weary programming executive, "so we've opted to add a unique, fun element to the mix."

The new twist, or, more accurately, wrinkle?

"Hits of the twenties, thirties and forties, hummed by Public Affairs Director Ian Koenigsfest with Till occasionally joining in on harmony as time allows."

Music programming on 'NW begins Tuesday morning.

Colour us in!

Sister, welcome to the board!

D'you think Ian will take requests? ;)

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:35 pm

There are times when I don't know if you all are operating with tongue in cheek. You mean NW is not licensed to play music...in other words when they dropped the music in the morning some time ago, NW had to apply to the wasteland known as the CRTC to do same? Absolute crap. And the sooner the Harper government gets rid of the CRTC the better off we all will be. All we need is a regulatory body to oversee the approval of licenses....making sure Hell's Angels don't get to buy a radio or TV station. Otherwise, leave it to the experts (so-called) to set up a reasonable programming lineup. If said lineup is the shits, then we the people will respond by not listening or viewing. And said Hell's Angels station will die a slow death. I can't still believe the CRTC will not allow an Oldies format on FM radio. Yet we have so much similar music from several FM outlets....that the kiddies label as hip-hop, classic rock, rap, etc. Total bull. On the Abbotsford roads I'm bombarded with boom cars, pounding out some inane base. Said driver will be applying for hearing aids by age 40. Rap music surely has to be labelled for those who are against everything normal.....down on this, down on that. Can anyone honestly tell me they understand each and every word being spoken by these rap "artists"? There's a young guy who frequents Mill Lake here in Abbotsford....this guy is amazing......he walks around the 2.5km lake.....spouting off these rap "songs" one after another.......I might add that his mother got him onto drugs at a young age....and they're both screwed up. He'd fit right in on some rap show. Remember, I'm not labelling him because I'm guessing.....I'm a member of the Abbotsford Police Citizens Patrol. He's one scary person. (carries a knife, I guess to lead the band with).
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:26 pm

Now Sykes - could a station run by bikers be any worse than the mess we have now.

Might be refreshing to hear the sound of a chopper announcing the next news cast

1. The Pusher - Steppenwolf
2. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
3. The Weight - Smith
4. Wasn't Born To Follow - The Byrds
5. If You Want To Be A Bird - The Holy Modal Rounders
6. Don't Bogart Me (AKA Don't Bogart That Joint) - Fraternity Of Man
7. If Six Was Nine - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
8. Kyrie Eleison/Mardi Gras (When The Saints) - The Electric Prunes
9. It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) - Roger McGuinn
10. Ballad Of Easy Rider - Roger McGuinn
butch
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:11 pm

Ogopogo wrote:Now Sykes - could a station run by bikers be any worse than the mess we have now.

Might be refreshing to hear the sound of a chopper announcing the next news cast

1. The Pusher - Steppenwolf? 
2. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf? ?
3. The Weight - Smith?
4. Wasn't Born To Follow - The Byrds? 
5. If You Want To Be A Bird - The Holy Modal Rounders?
6. Don't Bogart Me (AKA Don't Bogart That Joint) - Fraternity Of Man
7. If Six Was Nine - The Jimi Hendrix Experience? 
8. Kyrie Eleison/Mardi Gras (When The Saints) - The Electric Prunes? 
9. It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) - Roger McGuinn? 
10. Ballad Of Easy Rider - Roger McGuinn

Yeah, Mr. Sykes is right - that looks "similar to hip hop." :blink:

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:49 pm

On the Abbotsford roads I'm bombarded with boom cars, pounding out some inane base

Gee John, I hear those same guys out here in Aldergrove usually blaring out Punjabi rap music at 2 in the morning. The house literally vibrates when those idiots go down the street.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:38 am

Yes, radio stations DO have to pay to play music.
And pay a lot.
It's a big saving if the only music you use comes from a commercial library instead of having to pay royalties on every piece of music you play.
A news/talk station is expensive enough to operate compared to a music station because you need more bodies.
So saving money by cutting out music is a pretty normal thing.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:27 am

"Legally the station is not licensed to play music, but the always industrious management team was able to find a workaround."

This is the statement that John is concerned about and I don't see the answer to that in any of the responses.

When Frosty played 5 songs in the morning and Honey played 5 songs in the afternoon I doubt it cost much in royalties. With the amount of banter and commercials that is about all the time they had for music. But it was the best and I liked it better than another silly story from Philip Till.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:05 am

johnsykes wrote: Said driver will be applying for hearing aids by age 40. Rap music surely has to be labelled for those who are against everything normal.....down on this, down on that. Can anyone honestly tell me they understand each and every word being spoken by these rap "artists"? There's a young guy who frequents Mill Lake here in Abbotsford....this guy is amazing......he walks around the 2.5km lake.....spouting off these rap "songs" one after another.......I might add that his mother got him onto drugs at a young age....and they're both screwed up. He'd fit right in on some rap show. Remember, I'm not labelling him because I'm guessing.....I'm a member of the Abbotsford Police Citizens Patrol. He's one scary person. (carries a knife, I guess to lead the band with).

Oh Magoo, you've done it again. LMAO
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:48 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:Yes, radio stations DO have to pay to play music.
And pay a lot. So saving money by cutting out music is a pretty normal thing.

Yes, and if dumping your music licensing fees doesn't save you enough cash, why not save a few more bucks by off-loading more than half your staff?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:07 am

Top Dog wrote: When Frosty played 5 songs in the morning and Honey played 5 songs in the afternoon I doubt it cost much in royalties. With the amount of banter and commercials that is about all the time they had for music. But it was the best and I liked it better than another silly story from Philip Till.

The rate the station pays to play music is based on the station's income. The same rate is paid if the station plays 10 or 200 songs a day.

In NW's case, they basically saved a Frosty salary when they chose to quit playing music a few years ago.

and by the way ... Welcome back TS! Good to see you back in action.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia