Clear waste

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby johnsykes » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:02 pm

So please do tell me, you experts of so-called modern-day radio...why shouldn't Fred expound on his feelings about politics, how the roses smell, etc. Why should bloody music, bad as it is, rate above some well thought out comment that relates to today's happenings. Plainly put, the Downtown East Side of Vancouver should be trashed as soon as possible....Get me a bulldozer, please!!! Gastown is a disgrace and the area surrounding is also.

And don't get me going on the free needle sites either.......pretty soon, we'll have free ciggies, free beer sites...free booze sites for the alchoholics too. After all, we aren't able to make choices are we?
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:57 pm

johnsykes wrote:So please do tell me, you experts of so-called modern-day radio...why shouldn't Fred expound on his feelings about politics, how the roses smell, etc.  Why should bloody music, bad as it is, rate above some well thought out comment that relates to today's happenings.  Plainly put, the Downtown East Side of Vancouver should be trashed as soon as possible....Get me a bulldozer, please!!!  Gastown is a disgrace and the area surrounding is also.

Well, every place can't be placid, crime-free Abbotsford. ;)

I suspect owners of all those boarded-up buildings along E. Hastings are just biding their time for a few years when they can turn the land into high-rise condo$. It's coming.

johnsykes wrote:And don't get me going on the free needle sites either.......pretty soon, we'll have free ciggies, free beer sites...free booze sites for the alchoholics too.  After all, we aren't able to make choices are we?

No, John, addicts DON'T have a choice. That's why they're addicts. I've known a couple of guys to flush their broadcasting career because of addictions. :(

Anyway, I appreciate tuned's response to my question. We'll just have to see what the ratings hold for Fred & Wifey. Does anyone know if any marketing being done for their show?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:21 am

I will go along with Sykes today.

It's their show! - make it in too anything they want and suffer the consequences.

If the PD/manager/owners don't like the show they can do something about. I think they want the numbers up and F and C will do that.

Will it be pretty radio - No - you can't recreate the 70's - lol
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:18 am

I think we need safe "injection" sites for sex addicts. Guaranteed clean hookers with comfy beds.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:26 am

tuned wrote:I think we need safe "injection" sites for sex addicts.?

Good idea.

But shouldn't they be referred to as safe erection sites?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 am

Pluto wrote:

But shouldn't they be referred to as safe erection sites?

My Wymyn's study group told me that this would be an example of an oxymorn.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:11 pm

When I worked summers in North Van. in the early '70s, there was a building a block away that was part of a group of buildings. It had "Erection Shop" painted officially on the side.

I went back in 1999 and noted that it had been changed to "Assembly Shop".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:16 pm

cart_machine wrote: addicts DON'T have a choice

I would argue that addicts in Canada always have one choice: to get help. Our tax dollars fund, which I fully support, really comprehensive rehab programs.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:41 pm

My question is - where are the photo's of jr tottie?

and does Tot help the little one with his/her booties?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:50 pm

jonedmonton wrote:When I worked summers in North Van. in the early '70s, there was a building a block away that was part of a group of buildings.  It had "Erection Shop" painted officially on the side.

I went back in 1999 and noted that it had been changed to "Assembly Shop".

Oh how well I remember that one!
Around the same time, 1974-ish, there was a listing in the Vancouver telephone directory that someone had somehow managed to slip past whoever screens for these things. Under the "R"s it read: Rection, Hugh G.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:12 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Around the same time, 1974-ish, there was a listing in the Vancouver telephone directory that someone had somehow managed to slip past whoever screens for these things.  Under the "R"s it read:  Rection,  Hugh G.

Anyone ever call the number? Might have made a funny bit.

I did a piece once on people in Vancouver with the same names as celebrities. Called a guy in Surrey named Michael Jackson and he forelornly told me how his life was a mess because of phone calls. And this is before Michael became the NAMBLA pin-up boy.

Back to Fred, Neumann. You worked with him. You think it's a smart move that Clear has brought him back?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 pm

CBC's Stuart Maclean tells lots of funny stories, but I seem to recall that the following was claimed to be true. He knew a guy whose last name was Duck (I forget the first name). The guy's father's life went down the drain as a student around 1934, because his name was Donald. Before that, things were fine. But Mr. Disney ruined his life.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:21 pm

jonedmonton wrote: CBC's Stuart Maclean tells lots of funny stories, but I seem to recall that the following was claimed to be true. He knew a guy whose last name was Duck (I forget the first name). The guy's father's life went down the drain as a student around 1934, because his name was Donald. Before that, things were fine. But Mr. Disney ruined his life.

Believe it or not, I think I met Mr. Duck's daughter...married to a chap who worked at CJRL in Kenora in the late 70's (Glen Creamer, as I recall). She told me that her maiden name was Duck and that her dad's name was indeed Donald, and that things were fine before the Disney character came along...at which time things really went south for him (in a manner of speaking) in terms of being teased mercilessly.

Back to Fearless and Mrs. Fearless for a second, I think the occasional foray into real public issues is great! I've been interviewed by Fred only once or twice -- one of them a pretty decent grilling -- but he was fair, straight forward and pretty well informed.

Actually, we have another guy in the market (but unfortunately not on the air much anymore) who is damned sharp on public issues on top of being funny and creative -- that would be Doc Harris. If Clear could snag Doc for PM drive and tart up the music mix to something a tad more interesting...then the whole radio landscape would become a lot more interesting.

AD

PS: My opinion -- Jennifer and Joe are doing a pretty respectable job on CFUN's afternoon drive...
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia