CKNW Breaking News Alerts

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby Heard It On The X » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:08 am

I find the hockey score ones especially annoying since they're tagged with "CKNW, home of the Canucks fan" but this one really takes this cake...

"CKNW News/Talk 980" <CKNW-AM@listenerclub.com>
To: _______________________
Subject: Herring Sale Postponed
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:17:34 -0800

STORMY WEATHER HAS FORCED THE ANNUAL CKNW HERRING SALE TO BE POSTPONED UNTIL NEXT SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26TH.

CKNW NEWS TALK 980 - BC's NEWS LEADER - Hear more now - LISTEN TO CKNW LIVE NOW

If you wish to unsubscribe from the CKNW News Connection please Click here to change

Oh horror of horrors! The blue-haired grannies will have to wait SEVEN DAYS to get their herring! It's a good god damn they sent out this here breaking news alert so Grandma and Great Aunt Milllie will get the message on their Blackberries.

I simply can't wait for Phillip Till's next Webster award winning commentary which will be entitled Stormwatch 2006: The Day We Postponed the Herring Sale.

"First we had the boil-water advisory, then flooding in the Fraser Valley, and even the threat of a mudslide in Lions Bay," wailed Till.

"But we didn't fully appreciate the scope, the sheer magnitude of this weather system until IT FORCED THE POSTPONEMENT OF THE HERRING SALE! It just didn't feel like Vancouver anymore and I think a little part of each and every one of us died inside upon receiving the news."
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 am

This makes two years in a row with no herring sale. It was a stormy Grey Cup Sunday that included snow which caused the postponement and then the fish weren't biting for the make good sale the following Sunday.

Anyone remember the days when there was actually a real live person on the air at CKNW on Sunday mornings instead of infomercials and whacko religious crap

In the days of real radio, Brian Antonson, Paul Preston, Leigh McKay, Bill Nelson, Bill Strafford and others were on the air live from the dock in the Crystal Palace. If the sale was cancelled or was selling out, they would let listeners know immediately and constantly.

I wonder how many folks made the trek into New West this morning with buckets and $10 bills in hand only to find out the sale was cancelled? Many probably didn't check their e-mail before they left home. Others may have listened to the station and somehow missed a brief mention on a newscast. Some believed if it was cancelled, The Shadow or The Whistler would tell them while others knew if something was amuck, Charles Adler would tell them.

Sorry folks .. Memorex Radio doesn't work that way.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Looking at NW's demographics, I'd think many missed the news about the cancellation because they are hard of herring. :P
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:01 pm

I'd think many missed the news about the cancellation because they are hard of herring

That joke really smelt.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:58 pm

I understand Kevin Hayes has put together a book of herring recipes. He calls it "Herring Aids".
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:13 pm

It would be traditional for Corus to present a load of carp.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:26 am

Yet another brilliant NW news alert. But do you notice something different?

From: "CKNW News/Talk 980" <CKNW-AM@listenerclub.com> Add to Address Book
Subject: canucks win at home
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:57:01 -0800

Henrik Sedin scored the winning goal and goaltender Roberto Luongo was big in goal as the Vancouver Canucks defeated the Calgary Flames 3-1.

CKNW - HOME OF THE HOCKEY FAN - Hear more now - LISTEN TO CKNW LIVE NOW

Normally, it would say home of the Canuck fan at the bottom but you'll see that has been subbed out with "hockey fan" instead. I wonder if they were issued a cease-and-desist by the team...?
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia