NW ten o'clock news

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby tuned » Sat May 27, 2006 11:46 am

I was listening to Sportstalk last night and the kid that they had reading the ten o'clock news sounded like she wasn't old enough to be up that late. What ever happened to getting experience in a small market? I guess the new GM is just another corporate toady despite his "real" radio background. Allowing a bunch of sqeaky, mumblers on the air in Canada's second largest English market is just more bush league BS from Corus.
Thanks for nothing JJ.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat May 27, 2006 3:21 pm

I was prepared to give J.J. the benefit of the doubt when he became 'NW's GM a couple of months back.

I though that maybe there was a chance - however slight - that he could get The Dog back on track and whip it into shape.

But when you get to a certain level on the Corus foodchain, I guess all individuality and credibility goes out the window as you get sucked into the corporate vortex and become just another stooge in the circus.

Ian Koenigsfest is 'NW's News Director, and I presume that all hirings in that department have to have his approval.

It's interesting to note that Koenigsfest has never worked in radio as a newsman, or in any other on-air capacity.

He started out at 'NW as a go-fer for Philip Till and rose to his own personal level of incompetence.

Could you imagine anyone in management at CKNW lasting more than about five minutes in an American market of comparable size?

Sad isn't it?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat May 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Pluto wrote:

Could you imagine anyone in management at CKNW lasting more than about five minutes in an American market of comparable size?

Fortunately that will never happen...I doubt they'd let any of them across the border. :ph43r:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby buzzbishop » Sat May 27, 2006 9:27 pm

I dont want to turn this into an *ahem* cut and paste page like some other *ahem* radio boards, but I'd direct you to an interesting blog posting from Roger Kingkade on the state of talk radio.

No shameless plug for our podcast, although it has been updated. You know where to look if you want to listen.
buzzbishop
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia