Nick Frost

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby butch » Sat May 27, 2006 9:08 pm

Does anyone know the complete history of where Nick Frost came from?

I understand he might have been on CKOV-FM and possibly at CHQM.

Does anyone care to comment?
butch
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 28, 2006 8:13 am

When I arrived at CHQM in June 1971, Nick Frost did the Saturday Night all night show, simulcast on AM & FM. He also did Newscasts and operated CHQM-FM for the preceding couple of hours. Until September 1971, CHQM's all night show started at 1:00 a.m., after two hours of the Gaslight program.

Nick was a full-time employee, working 46 hours a week, just like all the other full-time operators: 5 eight hour shifts and 1 six hour shift. B.C. Labour Laws of the time required no overtime if you followed that pattern.

August is when I remember Nick leaving. To return to Kelowna. I visited him a year or two later at CKIQ-1150. The next event I'm sure of was his being granted a license for CILK-FM in Kelowna, but I do remember talk of him working on a station in Vernon before that. Not sure what became of that, or if it was even true.

Nick and I were good friends at CHQM. And he still remembered me when I wrote him a few years ago, congratulating him on a CILK anniversary.

Nick's funniest story was about a vacation he took while I was working with him at CHQM. He drove all over, seeing the sights, and visiting every radio station along the way. He was always welcomed, but, in Omak, Washington, the on-air announcer gave him a newscast to read and cued him to start reading. Without Nick even mentioning that he had any radio experience. Needless to say, Nick did a better job than the announcer would have (I said that, not Nick), but it is still kind of risky.

Just over a decade ago, Nick started an Internet ISP in Kelowna, did quite well, but sold it to PSI just before they went belly-up at the turn of the century. TELUS eventually bought the Canadian assets of PSI at 5 cents on the dollar. That is the same PSI that bought SNA, the original host and sponsor of reelradio.com.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun May 28, 2006 12:34 pm

Ogopogo wrote: Does anyone know the complete history of where Nick Frost came from?

I understand he might have been on CKOV-FM and possibly at CHQM.

Nick was managing CHIM-FM (formerly CJOV-FM) before he got the license for CILK-FM.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia