NW Storm Coverage

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:39 pm

Listening to CKNW today was like a flashback. It's live, local and non-stop information from many sources.

I heard extended weather coverage with Mark Madrega with Cameron Bell after 8:30.

Gord MacDonald handled 10AM - 2PM and Shawn Leslie has been on since 2PM.

Between segments with NW reporters, traffic reports, news updates and Mark Madrega's weather updates, the bulk of the content has been calls from listeners across the lower mainland and on the island who are out in the traffic and calling in on their cell phones.

Between staff and listeners, NW listeners have had up to date info on traffic and weather conditions from the Interior to Vancouver Island plus Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley all day long.

Thanks for returning to your roots and doing what a radio station should be doing.

Maybe if we had more snow storms, we'd get more live and local radio!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:09 pm

I found the search for storm information frustrating this morning - and that included a stop at the Dog. First, I tried the Weather Channel. There was a graphic stating a Local Forecast was coming up. I gave up waiting after twenty minutes. CBC Radio 1 had dead air - some sort of technical problem broadcasting from Fort St. John. I stopped the dial on the Dog and heard a few seconds of a dismal interview with a city of Vancouver official. Radio guy 'So how do you decide when to plow the Oak St hill?' Uh huh, surely you could think up a better question than that? WX wasn't bad. At least I found out how much snow was expected and got an idea of road conditions. Overall, I wasn't impressed.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:15 pm

On that... timely thread I have returned from a dip near Vernon.

I awoke to a bad computer feed on the C. Bell show - terrible sound quality.

Six inches of snow in my localale - difficult swimming conditions on the lake and nearby roads.
butch
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:58 pm

I tuned into NW this morning looking for some info on road conditions out in the valley. The person on the air sounded somewhat familiar but very old. At first I thought maybe John Sykes had been recruited to do some work at the Black Tower.

I was actually shocked when I learned it was Cameron Bell. I didn't realize he was still with us, let alone still working on the radio.

The coverage on NW throughout the day and this evening has been excellent and informative.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:54 pm

still working on the radio?

C. Bell hasn't been on the radio since the mid sixties
butch
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:33 pm

Morning News producer Amy Lapsley took over hosting duties for NW's storm coverage from 6 til 10PM.

From the sounds of it, NW's coverage started at 7AM.

A number of callers mentioned they usually don't listen to NW on Sundays other than to catch a morning newscast. Today was an exception, and they appreciated the chance to call in with conditions in their area and hear about other areas.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:00 am

Here on the islands, I have been listening to CFAX's storm coverage since 6 am. Morning host Al Ferraby is taking live calls from listeners about various activity/event closures, inquiries about Hydro, the ferries, the Malahat etc. As well, their web-page has been updated with school closure info and other timely bulletins. Good job, CFAX!!
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:30 am

Cute comment Sparky....familiar voice but old, that's me.

And the person who couldn't wait any longer for local weather on the Weather Channel....I beg to differ with you. Local weather forecast comes up EVERY ten minutes on the tens.....plus detailed reports in between. For a national channel, also reporting on bone-chilling weather in the prairies, I don't see how you could demand more than that.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:23 am

'NW must have taken quite a hit from the income lost yesterday when they pre-empted all of their usual infomercials.

I guess one day of trying to serve the public makes up for the other 364 days of crap that they usually dish up.

Let's get real. The emperor has no clothes.

When do the urgent-but-sincere self-congratulatory promos about the "Snowstorm of the Century" begin airing?

Sometime before the end of the day would be my guess.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:30 pm

At least it was entertaining! Sitting with no power sucked. A few goof calls came in.. I loved the one with the Chinese guy..
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:35 pm

With all their problems (myriad IMO) NW does still rise to the occasion when
there are big news events. Will they be self-congratulatory about it, perhaps,
but that behaviour isn't confined to them. It does show they can still be an information
leader in the crunch, although their day to day product isn't always what it used
to be, partly because of evolution and time, and partly due to debatable decision-
making.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:13 pm

It was nice to hear Phillip Till take a few moments out of his holiday time to give Gord McDonald a call this afternoon and give him a heads up on conditions in North Van.

Will this qualify Phil for a BCAB award this year?

Maybe someone in management should get an award for pre-empting Adler.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:55 pm

kat wrote: 'NW must have taken quite a hit from the income lost yesterday when they pre-empted all of their usual infomercials.

You think anyone told the Billing Dept.? I give you two to one odds that the sponsors will be billed. I'd also bet that over 80% will pay.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:35 pm

jonedmonton wrote:
kat wrote: 'NW must have taken quite a hit from the income lost yesterday when they pre-empted all of their usual infomercials.

You think anyone told the Billing Dept.? I give you two to one odds that the sponsors will be billed. I'd also bet that over 80% will pay.

If what you say is true and even if he did get ripped off, I imagine that if Chuck Swindoll finds out about being billed by the radio station for airtime he didn't receive, he'll still find it in his heart to pray for their black souls.
He's just that kind of guy.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby nuahcerpel » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:44 pm

sparky wrote:I tuned into NW this morning looking for some info on road conditions out in the valley. The person on the air sounded somewhat familiar but very old. At first I thought maybe John Sykes had been recruited to do some work at the Black Tower.

I was actually shocked when I learned it was Cameron Bell. I didn't realize he was still with us, let alone still working on the radio.

The coverage on NW throughout the day and this evening has been excellent and informative.

C Bell?I don?t think so, from what I hear? that was great work by the production department.
It actually was coverage of Hurricane Frieda in 62 that they cut up and regenerated. Not Bad :blink:
nuahcerpel

Next

Return to British Columbia