It's AbbotsFORD not AbbotsFERD

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby JCritty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:16 pm

Holy Shit that is some funny stuff!

Bravo sir, well played.
JCritty
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:48 pm

Heard It On The X wrote:Rochelle van Halm is the girl with the short haircut in the front wearing the horizontal-stripe sweater.

I take it this is the old Burrard Street 'WX crew?

Nope. It's got to be a Media Club shot from that era, though. CBU's Paul Heeney is top left. CJOR's Stan Crossley is two over. As mentioned, Gerry is standing at the right, his career having survived lighting a garbage can full of wire-copy ablaze at CKO.

Is that one or two of the Habers I spy?

There's some drunken guy next to Rochelle. Can't recall his name. He was probably stealing drinks from John Foster.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:32 pm

Cherni wrote:As someone who was born and raised in Abbotsford, before making my way to Mission a few years ago to commute to Vancouver everyday for work, I can say point blank, that nobody calls Abbotsford Abbots-FORD.  It may be the original way of saying it. 

No. HST revealed it's the Fraser Valley Broadcasters Ltd. way of saying it. No one else I knew in the area in the '60s pronounced it that way except the people at 1240 on your dial (other than Dominion Weather Observer Norman Green).

However, Fraser Valley Broadcasters Ltd. is no more. The Park Hotel is called something else. Lord knows what's made a home in CFVR's Allwood Street studios (and He ought to, as He resides in many locales in Abbotsford). Abbotsford is no longer headed by a Commissioner, with Harpur Nixon as the village clerk watching the interurban make its way to Gifford (not named after Gerry). Life goes on.

In other words - why is this even being discussed any more?

I didn't mean to seem impertinent to Mr. GWP (a fine ex radio person) in my response to him, but no one gets worked up over this now. The only company that did is gone, cutting a deal with Rogers to disperse happy little dollars to its principals who never seemed to enjoy dispersing many of them to employees.

Cherni wrote:In other words, George Ferguson, at 85 or however old he is

Well, he and Mr. Sykes have something in common ;)

Say, John, why are you giving G. Ferguson credit for a referendum result? He didn't cast all those votes; the voters did. And what about those big apartment towers that'll be built down the street from you? Are you going to be in front of the construction site with a sign reading "English only"?

Don't do it, John. Instead, challenge Jeff Leyland to a best two out of three falls for Brook Ward's old job. People would pay to see that, and thus you'll have the money to buy all six beer instead of one.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:48 pm

I not exactly giving Ferguson credit for the vote...just that he led Council into rock solid backing of Plan A....a bit of a turnaround really....he was dead set against a slightly similar plan a few years ago.

It's actually one tower of some 28 storeys I think....and a commercial building of three floors that will front Marshall Road.

Either you looked up my address in the phone book,or punched in 411.ca on your computer. Good sleuthing!

And your suggestion of a best of three with Leyland - that young whippersnapper - why
I could ----------------, better not continue.....some dingbat may construe it as a threat.
No, I'll stay retired. Time has passed me by. Just an old curmudgeon ticking people off by submitting outrageous emails.

Enjoy your Saturday night out carousing...I'll put my old tired feet up in front of the fire and dream of the old glory days, long, long ago.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:17 pm

johnsykes wrote:
It's actually one tower of some 28 storeys I think....and a commercial building of three floors that will front Marshall Road.

Either you looked up my address in the phone book,or punched in 411.ca on your computer.  Good sleuthing!

Oh, not at all, John. You mentioned your location in a conversation with someone on one of the message boards. Anyway, I thought the building backed onto your road because of the rezoning notification zones that are/were on it.

johnsykes wrote:  And your suggestion of a  best of three with Leyland - that young whippersnapper - why I could ----------------, better not continue.....some dingbat may construe it as a threat.
No, I'll stay retired.  Time has passed me by. 

Damn. So much for my pay-per-view rights. Oh, well. I gather someone else may want to smack him around.

johnsykes wrote:  Just an old curmudgeon ticking people off by submitting outrageous emails.

Well, that's what you get for invoking the spirit of Doug Collins or various distasteful immigration groups.

johnsykes wrote:  Enjoy your Saturday night out carousing...I'll put my old tired feet up in front of the fire and dream of the old glory days, long, long ago.

Carousing? No, not this weekend. Other stuff to do. A different tale next week; I've got a bunch of Xmas parties. Hmm. About time for a rant about what "they" have done to Christmas, isn't it? :)

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:54 pm

Oops!

hit a sandbar
butch
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:49 pm

who is right diane or george?

Plowing and sanding the mayor's driveway with a municipal plow-truck this week was the right thing to do, says Surrey's acting city manager, Murray Dinwoodie.

Dinwoodie said he suggested to Mayor Diane Watts that the city clear her driveway, following the massive dump of snow in Greater Vancouver on Sunday.

He said the mayor asked if that was OK, and he told her it was. And so her driveway was done.

"The mayor should be available to undertake her duties as chief executive officer of the city. And ensuring that she's available to do that is, in my opinion, a reasonable thing to have happened," said Dinwoodie.

"I made the decision that I had to make. I made it and life goes on from there," he said, speaking on the mayor's behalf.

But that decision was wrong says the mayor of nearby Abbotsford. George Ferguson was snowed in this week for two days.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:44 pm

Top Dog wrote: who is right diane or george?

Plowing and sanding the mayor's driveway with a municipal plow-truck this week was the right thing to do, says Surrey's acting city manager, Murray Dinwoodie.

<snip>

But that decision was wrong says the mayor of nearby Abbotsford. George Ferguson was snowed in this week for two days.

Well, Mayor George didn't tell you it's a moot point as far as he's concerned. He lives out on Sumas Prairie where I don't think they plow some of the roads anyway. Even if they had, there was a travel advisory for the area, so he wouldn't have been going anywhere.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:48 pm

cArtie is becoming snip py in his old age - lol

notice if you mention LEXUS - you get lexus ads

lets see if works for bc radio history - lol
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:49 pm

cart_machine wrote:No one else I knew in the area in the '60s pronounced it (Abbotsford) that way except the people at 1240 on your dial (other than Dominion Weather Observer Norman Green).

An official Government source of pronounciation rather than the folks at FVB.
cart_machine wrote: In other words - why is this even being discussed any more? I didn't mean to seem impertinent to Mr. GWP (a fine ex radio person) in my response to him, but no one gets worked up over this now.
cArtie.

You have to admit you haven't had as much fun here in weeks. :)
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia