Good News for Redbone fans

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Aboriginal Voices Radio CKAV-FM2 is on the air testing from their Mt. Seymour transmitter site at 106.3.

In New Westminster they are clear with no intereference from KLYN 106.5, and no AVR interference on 106.5.

Thanks to Dan Sys for the tip that testing has resumed.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:53 pm

Your welcome RadioFan. Noticed they were on the air during the commute home this afternoon. Didn't hear any Redbone, but heard a lot of Bob Marley & Alanis Morisette. The signal strengths are pretty well equal between AVR 106.3 and Praise 106.5 with neither station interfering with each other out here in Aldergrove (the hotbed of Praise 106.5 listenership), so I don't know what all that stink raised last summer was about. Is it true that Roy Hennessey will be doing mornings on AVR?
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:42 pm

If these dumbass AVR'ers weren't getting long-term special consideration from the CRTC, this endless ongoing "testing" bullshit would be hilarious.

But they are, and it isn't.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:42 pm

Come and get your love. :D
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:22 pm

assuming that there will be a certain amount of talk programming mixed in with the music blocks, I don't understand why Aboriginal Voices didn't pick one of the now-abandoned almost-clear-channel AM frequencies. IT Productions' CJRJ "RJ1200" made use of an excellent clear channel and there are several other available such as 1500 occupied by the former CKAY Duncan, 1570 once occupied by CHUB & later CKEG Nanaimo and now even 1270 is in the clear with CHWK gone locally and CHAT Medicine Hat now on FM as well. Most of these could be operated with 25 - 50 kW of power in the daytime and probably 1/2 as much at night putting a good signal into the ancouver/lower mainland/Fraser Valley region. I realize CKAV-2 is making use of AM 850 to get their signal out in the Fraser Valley somewhat clearer & it seems to me that their attempts to shoehorn in on the already over-saturated FM dial has been an exercise in redundancy and has generated some negative feedback by listeners to a religious FM station in northwest Wash. I know some will make the argument that the AM band is dead, but a unique radio service such as this may well attract a specialized listening audience. So...I wonder how soon someone in Australia, southeast Asia or even northern Europe logs RJ 1200 via DX - easy pickings with its bhangra/bollywood/hiphop mix
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby LG73 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:32 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:I realize CKAV-2 is making use of AM 850 to get their signal out in the Fraser Valley somewhat clearer & it seems to me that their attempts to shoehorn in on the already over-saturated FM dial has been an exercise in redundancy and has generated some negative feedback by listeners to a religious FM station in northwest Wash. I know some will make the argument that the AM band is dead, but a unique radio service such as this may well attract a specialized listening audience.

On the Northwest Broadcasters recent news page, this comment re: CKAV-2: "AVR received CRTC authorization in 2003 for a transmitter to operate at 850 kHz in Abbotsford, but that service will not proceed." If that's correct, then the 106.3 FM is it for CKAV-2 in the Lower Mainland. This information from http://members.shaw.ca/nwbroadcasters/recentnews.htm.
Cheers,

Phil
LG73 - Vancouver's Hit Music Mix - http://www.LG73.ca/
LG73

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:20 pm

The only problem with AM other than interference of all types and limited audio frequency bandwidth is the high cost of the transmitter site which usually means 40 acres of land, underground radials and several towers and tuning huts, not to mention the huge electrical bills when compared to FM operations which usually are shared-stick operations with little land requirement.
AM is capable of high quality audio but that was limited by regulators and receiver manufacturers years ago.
And there are very few engineers around who understand AM RF operation, tuning and repair.
Most AMs are impossible to pick up in downtown Vancouver.
You can't get CKNW in front of the TD Tower, AM600 vanishes into static in many areas and if there are trolley wires around, forget about AM at all.
Remember, it cost Corus over a million recently to rehab the AM730 site which had suffered from years of neglect.
If you get an area where interference is negligible, AM600 sounds amazing in AM Stereo if you have a good AM Stereo receiver.
Most AMs also are processed to the max and clipped like crazy to get maximum loudness.
The same thing is happening on many FMs but again, it's the transmitter, the land needed, the maintenance on towers and tuning huts and the high power bills that make AM unattractive, not to mention electrical interference and limited audio bandwidth.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:41 pm

" Come and get your love. " - this quoted from glaherty

this man should be banned for such 'lovey dovey' comments.

do I sit on the banning committee?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Haven't seen anything on the CRTC or Industry Canada sites that indicate AVR has surrendered the CP for 850 in Abbotsford.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia