Very Early CJCA Memorabilia

A look back at various radio stations

Very Early CJCA Memorabilia

Postby jon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:21 pm

He's in his 90s, but (now retired, of course) long-time CJCA Chief Engineer Gord Skutle has just debuted a new web site:
http://www.infoese.ca/skutle.html

No fancy design, but lots of amazing material. Where else are you going to find CJCA's 1000 watt license from their pre-war days on 730 KHz? And a look at the 1948 930 KHz license will reveal an interesting fact that has got lost in Canadian history: the federal Department of Transport was renamed Department of Reconstruction and Supply for several years after the War. You'll also see equipment dating back to the 1920s. At the other end of the time scale, there is a copy of the 1993 station closure article from the Edmonton Journal.

Thanks, Gord, for preserving and presenting this priceless material. He has also graciously allowed the Edmonton Broadcasters Club to re-purpose some of the material for our site, as the site grows.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Very Early CJCA Memorabilia

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Wonder if he keeps in touch with his cousin Fred?

Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Uhm . . . Skutle not Tuttle
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Fantastic!
I wish more radio people would go through their personal archives and post any memorabilia that they have.
I enjoyed working with Gord Skutle for 7 years in the late '70s and early 80's.
There were so many great people who worked at CJCA over the years and I remember so many from that era, including George Payne who still was there, doing the "Flying Tiger" traffic reports.
Thanks to Gord for enhancing my memories of my years at CJCA and CIRK-FM.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Just finished having a look at the various images and documents: I agree with Mr. Cleaver that it's fantastic!

So many memories. Now I need to nudge Mike Marshall and a friend of Bob Bell's to have a look too.

Sure miss Bill and Bill from 11 until 2. Just wish they'd quit calling my "hometown" the wife-beating capital and that I too could feel as good as an early 1990s retired Alberta provincial Conservative cabinet minister. :)

I need to go now because I think I can hear the Northern Lights. ;)

Cue tonearm . . .
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 am

Greetings!
Yet another great article this time with much historical info. about CJCA 930 Edmonton which of course is still on-the-air. Of the Edmonton AM stations and all the info. Jon has posted about them I would have to say CJCA is my favorite. First time I really looked at this topic and checked out the link. Well worth it! That former C.E. at CJCA sure did a great job at providing a lot of historical info. I got CJCA 930 verified in the late 60s perhaps about 1967 shortly after I started dxing the AM Band. Still have the nice QSL Card from them with the tiger on it. I*ll have to check for the verification signer, perhaps its the C.E. mentioned here. Anyway a great topic. By the way I have some memorabilia from CJCA got at the station when I visited them in downtown Edmonton during the 1980s, it was some colorful contest folders, coverage map etc. I also have a few CJCA music charts from the late 1960s, I got them for a month or two when they used to send them to me after I wrote to the station back around 1967 or so.

I like CFRN too with the Tall Totem symbol, and toured the station in the 1980s as well. I think I was there twice. However CJCA 930 is definitely my favorite AM from Edmonton. Good Topic Jon, thanks for all the info. on this one everyone!!!!

All the Best Eldon..
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Greetings,
Just a quick note to say I checked my CJCA QSL Card here and it was for summer of 1967. Yes it was Mr. Skuttle that signed, it same person who offered all the interesting CJCA information and memorabilia on this topic. Looking through all my verifications here makes me want to send off some dx reports from here. I would have sooner but have been very busy this summer since I got here.

One thing I tried again this morning briefly for CFRY 920 but no luck again. Sooner or later I should be able to receive them here in Ontario. If I do well enough I am sending them a dx report from here , hopefully they verify!!!!

Anyway take care.

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History