Remembering CJAT

A look back at various radio stations

Re: Remembering CJAT

Postby kenk » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:52 pm

I found it very interesting to read the comments about CJAT. I remember all the names mentioned, plus some, way back when I was a young kid. My Dad, Joe Kobluk, who was with the station from the age of 16 until the age of 54 started out as announcer and worked his way through the ranks to general manager. Although I only knew some of the employees personally, I remember all the names. It's great reading thoughts and memories of a great time.
kenk

Postby jon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:24 pm

Were you about 16 in 1972? If so, we never met, but I did see you once. With your father at a Car Lot in Trail. I had a view of the Car Lot from where I lived.

I was only at CJAT for May and June of 1972, but it felt like a lot longer, being as it was my first "paid speaking role" in Radio.

I'd have to check my notes, but I believe that I was still there when the sale to CKEK Cranbrook was announced.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kenk » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:49 pm

In 72 I was 18. Dad was there till 1979. He started in 1941. I remember you but I never really met you. I actually worked there when I was 12 or 13 doing odd jobs. It was too bad the way Dad was let go. Other that being General manager he was on the board of directors plus he had something to do with a Canadian Radio organization. Can't recall exactly what that was. But there were always a great group of employees at the station. Lots of great friendships.
kenk

Postby BossRadio » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:07 am

Hi.
CJAT PD John Mitchell hired me, taking me out of Regina and getting me back to BC to do nights in April 1976. I was grateful ,and pleasantly surprised when he took me for lunch at the Collander restaurant for our "meet and greet" session. Even more so, when during our meal he said "we aren't paying you enough" and upped my already agreed upon salary by another hundred dollars!

When I arrived, the airstaff was set, but the station was about go through a change of GM. I can't recall the gents name, but he was replaced by George Garrett of CKNW/CFMI fame soon after I arrived. Jocks at the time were John Jackson, Dave Glover,John Mitchell,Pat Cohan and me, as 'Brother' Ken Oneil. Glen Bowler came on board to do sports,and eventually mid days, Joe Remusz was the news director by then, and a young fellow named Jim (whose last name escapes) me also did news. Lottie Bonnin was the gatekeeper outfront. We were in the old post office downtown at that time, and the Janitor and his wife lived upstairs.

Great place to work,and I stayed two years. Thanks for the memories.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby jon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:45 pm

BossRadio wrote:a young fellow named Jim (whose last name escapes) me also did news.

Well, it wasn't Jim Harrison, according to his bio with The Jack Webster Foundation:
Jim Harrison has defined news radio in Kamloops for more than three decades, where he has been CHNL's News Director since 1975.

Jim was a Newsman at CJAT, working with News Director Barrett Lawrie, when I was there in 1972. Because announce staff worked 6 day weeks, Jim was assigned the Noon-6pm Sunday shift as Top 40 DJ, and always did a great job.

Of the people you mention, only Dave Glover and John Jackson were there in 1972. John was Afternoon Drive and Saturday Morning DJ, as well as Music Director. Dave had only recently been moved to FM, and his voice was only heard on AM voicing some commercials (all spots were pre-recorded at the time) and the simulcast sign-on and sign-off. Dave was Program Director and the entire Sales department for CJAT-FM, as well as doing a few hours each weekday on air, to keep the evening FM announcer's shift to 8 hours on-air.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:55 pm

Well, I departed in early February '73.

John Mitchell had joined a short time before that, but worked on air on FM only IIRC.

Jim Harrison moved to NL within the same year.

I recall Joe Remesz.. but he was in Sales surely? Other sales' guys were Terry Leggatt, (???) Levesque -- the family owned the Arlington Hotel/beer parlour where I lived at first for $7/week, though Joe Kobluk was freaked about my safety from fire -- and another tall, young sales guy with glasses whose name escapes me.

Dave Townsend lived in an apartment above the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, kitty corner to the Arlingtin, and across from the Crown Piint.

Gee... 43 years later.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Found this... Eric Gonzalez, your work is very well done. Watch a view of Trail today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3136492

Looks great on a 40 inch screen... love the music too !
PMC

Postby jon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Odd to see one radio friend from the beginning of the Seventies honouring another (who I knew from CJAT). Here is the quote from Hansard:
Mr. Speaker, it is my pleasure to salute an old friend and colleague, Jim Harrison of CHNL Radio in Kamloops, on his forthcoming retirement as news director.

Jim has led one of British Columbia's most celebrated newsrooms for over 40 years, practically since the station signed on. In that time, he distinguished himself as a leader, the one who moulded many fine news reporters and founded NL's reputation as one of BC's best radio news operations.

Jim's instincts and integrity as a reporter, his deep understanding of the roots of the community, and his story-telling skills, be it for a news item or the daily editorials he produced over all those years, have produced numerous awards for his newsroom, and for himself in 2007, the Bruce Hutchison Lifetime Achievement Award.

Retired, but never retiring, Jim, like so many recovering broadcasters, will still be a presence on the air. I want to take this opportunity to pass on my best wishes for many more years of service and success at Radio NL.

The MP addressing the Speaker of the House was Ken Hardie; I didn't even know that Ken had ever even run for election, let alone got himself elected, until the past hour.

Ken was Program Director at CYVR, UBC Radio, when I was there in 1970-72. I never knew it until quite recently, but shortly after my and his CYVR days, Ken was at CFTK Terrace when I was at CFPR Prince Rupert, the source of CFTK's CBC network feed.

Those of you who frequent RadioWest get-togethers undoubtedly have met Ken.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Here's the video of Ken's presentation.

https://www.facebook.com/ken.hardie.16/ ... 735173665/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History