Vancouver Radio's First Rock and Roll

A look back at various radio stations

Vancouver Radio's First Rock and Roll

Postby jon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:18 am

Ron Robinson was asking about how Vancouver newspaper radio schedules looked in 1954, so I chose the schedule that included Red Robinson's first show on CJOR, Canada's first regularly-scheduled daily rock and roll program.

(November 12, 1954)
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver Radio's First Rock and Roll

Postby ronrob » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 am

Great stuff, Jon. Proves how wrong I can be, because there in the right hand column is CHUB Nanaimo, 1570 kc. I'd forgotten that the Sun ever carried out of town Canadian stations in their grids.

And in the 10 am hour on CKMO there's Jack and Joy .. who would be Jack Cullen and his first wife Joy.
ronrob

Re: Vancouver Radio's First Rock and Roll

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:13 pm

ronrob wrote:Great stuff, Jon. Proves how wrong I can be, because there in the right hand column is CHUB Nanaimo, 1570 kc. I'd forgotten that the Sun ever carried out of town Canadian stations in their grids.

And in the 10 am hour on CKMO there's Jack and Joy .. who would be Jack Cullen and his first wife Joy.

I was recently going through several boxes of Jack's old tapes and came across a few Jack and Joy airchecks (I believe there was a Christmas or New Years show). In the next while I'll do some dubbing and post one on the site. Also found an aircheck of Art Finlay's last NW show and Philip Till's first show ... Winter is a good time for digitizing old reel to reel tapes!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History