One Great On-Air Stunt from 1969

A look back at various radio stations

One Great On-Air Stunt from 1969

Postby jon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Pat St. John got together, by telephone conference call, with two other CKLW Alumni last night, and one story came up that is worth repeating.

In 1969, the all-night DJ at WKNR in Detroit would regularly do a conference call with other all-night DJs at Detroit radio stations. Including CKLW, of course, where Pat was doing all-nights at the time.

One night, the DJs from 9 stations got together and all played Richard Harris' "MacArthur Park" beginning at 2:52:39 a.m. so that it would finish right at 3:00 a.m. when most stations, but not CKLW, did their News.

Although the song was a year old, it was picked because it fit into the formats of all 9 stations.

As Pat put it, "The phones went nuts."
jon
Advanced Member

Re: One Great On-Air Stunt from 1969

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:51 pm

All nights at The Keener Thirteener 1969 ? Must have been Chris Ryan 1am-6am (aka Chris Rathaus..he later worked in Pittsburgh and Miami and passed away in 2006). Tom Rivers was also at WKNR pulling swing that year just before becoming a legend at CHUM and, coincidentally, by 1970 Pat St. John himself switched all night gigs from CKLW to Keener.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: One Great On-Air Stunt from 1969

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:12 pm

WKNR master control 1966 and Bob Green - PM drive

Keener jocks 1971

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History