The Year was 1953. The Station, CJCA.

A look back at various radio stations

The Year was 1953. The Station, CJCA.

Postby jon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:57 pm

The original editor of CJCA's Staff Newsletter, One Moment Please, has given the Edmonton Broadcasters Club all of the issues, beginning with Issue #1, dated November 1953, from the time period when she was Editor. Thanks to the scanning efforts of CJCA's retired Chief Engineer, they will soon be available for everyone to enjoy.

To begin, I have the 1953 issues on the Club's web site:
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/station ... wsletters/
They make an amazing and detailed inside picture of the people and events at CJCA at that time.

But, before you go there, you may want to test your knowledge by answering this question: even though there were only two private radio stations in Edmonton in 1953, one of these newsletters makes reference to six signals for Edmonton listeners to choose from; what were they?

I list my best guess on the page on the link above. CJCA's retired CE got me wondering if there is not another possible answer: one that includes CBK from Watrous, Saskatchewan, on 540 with 50,000 watts. When I first visited Edmonton in the summer of 1967, CBK had the strongest non-local signal on the dial, even stronger than CFCW. At High Noon!
jon
Advanced Member

Re: The Year was 1953. The Station, CJCA.

Postby jon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:45 pm

All issues up to, and including, May 1956 are now available, on that same page.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History