CFUN/CKMO Transmitter

A look back at various radio stations

CFUN/CKMO Transmitter

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 pm

does anyone know the whereabouts of the CFUN transmitter?

I have some people sending me pix of the CKMO transmitter
and buildings from the 40's

Will post first one and wait for some response.

You have to have a bit of a 'sense of humour' with the pix

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 pm

It's in Richmond, along with most of the other AM's.
You can see it from the Richmond Freeway.
In the original picture, you can see one of the workers burying one of the ground radials from the tower(s) :lol:
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 am

Mike you must have incredible sight.

The only worker bee I see is the guard dog chasing a skunk

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:25 am

Hello

CKMO was located on our family farm on Lulu island in the 1940's and 50's. I have a few (not too good but ok) photos of the station and tower from our family collection of photos. If you're interested I can send copies.

The farm belonged to my Grandfather Robert Tait, he leased the land to the station. I spent many hours playing in the old station as a kid after they closed it down.
The station was located on River rd between 5 and 6 road, pretty much exactly where the Richmond Night Market is located now.

Cheers
Gary Cullen (my mothers father owned the farm,
we lived on the farm in a separate home)

Jack

Attached are the CKMO photos, I warned you they're not too great, but they probably are the only photo record there is of the station from that era.
The shot with the dog was taken by my grandfather just as the station was being finished, you can see a line of dirt piled up to the right where the cable was buried out to the tower which was (I'm guessing) about 300 ft away.

Another shot (with the man, my uncle who was killed in WWII) showing where the station was in regards to the barn and small farmhouse.

The only shot I could find of the tower at the moment is the shot of my grandmother by herself, the tower is on her left. It was not far behind the barn.

Hope they're of some use to you. Like I said, they're not much but probably the only record there is.

I'm not related to Jack Cullen but when I was a kid ours and Jacks families were the only Cullen's in Vancouver!
Can't remember how many hundreds of times I've been asked if I'm related to Jack!

Cheers
Gary
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:09 am

You could see the old CKMO / CFUN Towers and TX site from Marine Drive on the Vancouver side of the river. It was pretty much in line with Kerr Road and the old Vancouver dump.

The CJVB 1470 site is about 1 mile east at River Rd and #7.

The current CFUN site is in Delta south of River Road and East of Hwy 99.

Sepeaking of CKMO ... in the late 60's, early 70's there was a white building in a field near White Rock where the KGH and Hwy 99 meet (likely where the Best Western is today) and it had a CKMO 1410 sign on it. Was this a one time transmotter site, or more likely just a"billboard" for the station? I've often wished I had gotten in there and snagged the sign ..
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:26 pm

That's why I put the emoticon at the end of my post.
We all know radio station owners work their staffers like dogs!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:35 pm

radiofan wrote:Sepeaking of CKMO ... in the late 60's, early 70's there was a white building in a field near White Rock where the KGH and Hwy 99 meet (likely where the Best Western is today) and it had a CKMO 1410 sign on it. Was this a one time transmotter site, or more likely just a"billboard" for the station? I've often wished I had gotten in there and snagged the sign ..

I remember seeing that building as well -- it looked like it might have been the station's booth at the PNE...at least that's the impression I had when I saw it, mainly because CKWX had a similar building at the PNE for many years.
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History