KHJ - History of Rock and Roll

A look back at various radio stations

KHJ - History of Rock and Roll

Postby OpenMike » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:56 pm

Geo Custer - "There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the 7th Cavalry"
OpenMike
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:01 pm

:? Rancho KHJ? He's no Robert Morgan...but thanks for the clips! Fun to hear the real thing from the "Rockumentary" files.

BR
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby chartquest1954 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Just curious whether an actual recording (of the entire original 48 hour show, from 1969) exists - or, at least, whether an official playlist of the entire epic exists?

This "Rockumentary" was, by far, the most life-changing radio event of my lifetime. I consider it to be primarily responsible for me having gotten interested enough in records to eventually go into business selling them, something which has been my exclusive income source for more than 30 years (as of two weeks ago)!

A secondary influence was Dick Liberatore's "The Big Beat" show which aired on various Cleveland radio stations during the mid and late Sixties. I have never found even a trace of any air check of his show.

Does anybody know anything about the availability of any of these?
chartquest1954

Postby jon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 pm

If, by original, you mean the History of Rock and Roll aired solely on KHJ Los Angeles, then, yes, Don Kent has a complete recording, as I understand it, with possible bits (of songs, I think) missing during tape changes. It was originally aired beginning at noon on February 21, 1969, and is hosted by Robert W. Morgan.

Soon after, a syndicated version was released by KHJ. It was voiced by Humble Harv on KHJ, and possibly most other stations, though I have also heard of Drake-consulted stations like CKLW being given materials from which they voiced their own version. I'd have to listen to the recording I have of the first few minutes on CKLG-AM to know for sure, but I believe their's was voiced by Humble Harv. Daryl B. does the intro, and may do some imaging throughout.

Bill Drake voices the one that is currently still in syndication, but I think we've dated that version to the early '80s. Cool 8-80 aired it for many years here in Edmonton. That one is readily available.

Back to Don Kent: I'm not sure that he offers copies of his to anyone, since it is presently being released, hour by hour, on ReelRadio. And is presently up to hour 9.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History