Update #7

A look back at various radio stations

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:44 pm

July 9, 2006. Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio has again been updated.

Recently added to the site:

CKWX - 1962 surveys. The final months of CKWX as a "Top Forty" station, with the last survey dated for the week of March 3 -10, 1962. On the 1962 index page is a brief retrospective, written by yours truly, based on my own impressions as a thirteen-year-old listener at that time.

C-FUN Soundathon #5 - Top 300 for the year ending 1962.

C-FUN Soundathons #4 and #6. Never printed, these were the 'summer' Soundathons for 1962 and 1963. The were no song rankings. Featured were the best songs from each July and August dating back to 1960. Since no charts for these two events were issued, and rather than present two permanently dead links on the index page, it is hoped you will enjoy the presentations featured on the site paying tribute to each of these Soundathons. The Sounathon #6 page features four audio clips recorded right from the radio back in the summer of 1963. Thanks to Larry Morton for these clips, and for also providing a partial list of some of the songs played during the event. (And if anyone can positively identify the voice in Clip #1 please let me know.) You can access the Soundathon index page by going through the C-FUN Year Index page.

Jingles! Jingles! Jingles!
C-FUN 1963, 1964 and 1965. I have opened the index pages for these three years although there are no surveys to view at present. Each page is chock full of jingles for your listening pleasure. I have tried to match these jingles as closely to the correct timeline as best as my memory serves me. If anyone feels I've erred in my placement let me know. The 1965 index features more jingles from the a-Go-Go era.

I have also created links from my site to three of the C-FUN jingle montages posted on this, the Radiowest site, by our illustrious administrator. These montages contain some of the very earliest C-FUN jingles and are classic! Montage #1 can be linked to from the C-FUN 1960 index page, Montage #2 from the 1961 index page, and Montage #3 has been linked to from the 1962 index page. (I haven't linked to #4 as these jingles are already on my 1963 & 64 index pages as individual clips.) If you were a C-FUN listener from that time period, don't miss these!

One final treat. On the C-FUN 1964 index page you'll see another fabulous painting by Bruce Stewart, this one portraying Red Robinson and the C-FUN Good Guys at the White Spot Restaurant at 70th and Granville. This painting was done over 20 years ago, and was also used in the book "Triple O", published a few years ago, which outlined in pictures the 65-year history of the White Spot chain. My thanks to both Bruce Stewart and Red Robinson for giving me the OK to use this. BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO OPEN AN EVEN LARGER IMAGE!

Will be doing some tweaking on the site and some R & D for the next while. Next update probably late summer.
Next on the list:
-C-FUN 1963 surveys
-C-FUN 1964 surveys
-C-FUN S O U N D A T H O N # 7
-And on the horizon. . . CKLG.

Have a Fun-tastic day!

Jim
Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History